very new to idpa, some info would be helpful

I just took the goal class for intro into IDPA. Very informative and feels like I could hit the ground with my feet running

But I need help with some logistics:
I would like to try the harvard idpa this weekend.
Do I need to be classified?
Do I need to pre register?
Can I just show up with respective equipment, $ and go?

Thanks in advance

You are most welcome to show up and participate in the match. Since you took the course, you know what equipment you need. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to be SAFE!!!! Let you squad CSO know you are new and you will be placed a bit lower in the shooting order so you can see how the stages are being run.

No need to be classified, no pre-reg.

BTW: There is a practice tonight at 7:30pm on the indoor range if you'd like to get some trigger time.

John.

P.S. I am part of the MWT team that holds these matches. I also started a program at Woburn Sportsmen's Association in Woburn. Please come shoot at Woburn too!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wsaIDPA/

rocco, try to start up some interest in your club. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL, etc.. Any and all are welcome

Ya, western ma is kinda a black hole....

Idpa in Lee
Uspsa and icore (and a couple other events) at Springfield sportsman club in monson(they report uspsa scores for classifier stages and matches at least)
Also a laidback uspsa at Holyoke revolver club (but only open to club members per club rules due to neighbor/court order)

Some rumors of S&W possibly maybe down the road starting idpa up again, but internal things are still being hashed out, kinda a don't hold your breath year plus or more out.

I am jealous. I have been a member of the idpa for just over a year and I have not been to a single event. There has not been a single event in my part of Massachusetts. (Far western).

I am NOT a member of IDPA but have shot several matches including last weekend at Worcester. The folks are great and as long as you are safe, you will be welcomed.

I am NOT a member of IDPA but have shot several matches including last weekend at Worcester. The folks are great and as long as you are safe, you will be welcomed.

+1 No one will care if you are fast, accurate, both or neither, as long as you are safe. I have never met anyone at IDPA (or uspsa/steel) who was not both friendly and helpful, so be sure to ask any and all questions.

I went to my first match in April and have done several now. It's nerve wracking for the first time, but you'll do fine if you concentrate and go slowly. The 180 was my biggest concern. I've seen first timers dq in a few ways, sweeping their arm and total 180 violation. But not rushing is the key.

I went to my first match in April and have done several now. It's nerve wracking for the first time, but you'll do fine if you concentrate and go slowly. The 180 was my biggest concern. I've seen first timers dq in a few ways, sweeping their arm and total 180 violation. But not rushing is the key.

The other way I've seen first timers DQ is when there is a table start. They wanted to get ready as soon as possible, so they took their gun out of the holster before being told to by the SO, while people were still down range. Bad idea.

The other way I've seen first timers DQ is when there is a table start. They wanted to get ready as soon as possible, so they took their gun out of the holster before being told to by the SO, while people were still down range. Bad idea.

I hope I won't DQ my first time, that would suck.

I hope I won't DQ my first time, that would suck.

Just slow down, take deep breaths, and listen carefully to the SO. Don't get ahead of the Safety Officer. Wait for his instructions, particularly during unload and show clear. Always holster slowly, with your finger well clear of the trigger guard -- holstering is perhaps the most dangerous thing we do and you never have to do it on the clock.

piggybacking on the original thread a bit, but I'm wondering how long the day runs at a typical match like this? I'm interested to know if I can make this work with some early evening commitments I have. I want to make sure I plan enough time to participate and stick around to help clean up.

I'm in a similar situation as the original poster - took the intro class, but didn't make it to the match last month. I'm hoping to get to a match soon.

Figure anywhere from 2-4 hours. It really depends on the number of shooters and stages. Back when S&W had their idpa bit running. We would sign in at 530 and we were out by 8. Granted only 3 stages though. When I go shoot uspsa in Monson 930a start and out anywhere from 1-3pm, though that is 5 stages and 70-100 people shooting. If everything goes fast I have got out of there at noonish.

At Harvard Sportsmens or Worcester Pistol, they typically start shooting around 10 AM (you need to get there earlier to register) and the match continues until 3 or 4 PM.

one more thing, do we have to wear a hat?

Not required, but it is a good idea, particularly on an indoor stage. There is usually a gap between your brow and your glasses. Brass cartridge cases have found their way between this gap. Hot brass against your eye is likely not a fun thing. A cap with a bill protects that gap.

Back
Top Bottom