versatile powder for action pistol (9mm and 45ACP)

jar

I just picked up some reloading equipment from a friend, and I'm looking to get started. Most pressing cost-wise is loading 9mm and 45ACP for IDPA matches. What powders do people recommend? I'm looking to load moly coated lead. I'm thinking 124gr in 9mm and 230gr in 45, as that's what's in my carry loads. It'd be great if I could use the same powder for IDPA minimum loads and for full power loads that replicate my carry ammo (Federal HST). I'm willing to consider 147gr in 9 and 200gr in 45 if there's a reason to do so. I may order 250 of each weight and decide which I like better before ordering in bulk.

If I can use the same powder for 38/357 too, that'd be great, but not very important since I don't have a gun for them yet, though I do have dies. [smile] Titegroup seems good for this application, but I've heard it burns too hot for the coated bullets.

Win 231 is a great powder for those exact bullets. I use 4.5gr 231 for 124gr 9mm loads for IDPA/USPSA and 5.4g 231 for 230gr 45ACP loads. All Berry bullets. They are great loads for competition- however I don't think they can load up to a hot carry load. Power Pistol is great for hot 9mm loads- should work in 45 as well but I haven't tried it.

+1 on 231. I find this the best powder for my non magnum loads. If you want to push the edge of the envelope in 9mm, however, you will need a slower burning powder.

anyone use winchester wsm? that is the recomended powder on the hodgdon site. how is the leadding with the tight group?

I don't load 45, but I use a ton of Power Pistol in my 124gr 9mm loadings.

Good stuff, nice muzzle flash too[smile]

Steve

I'm currently use 5.0 gr of Red Dot behind 178 gr LSWC with 11 lb recoil spring in my Kimber.
As soon as my cronograph arrives, I'll be testing the following:
178gr LSWC, 4.0gr Red Dot
185gr LSWC, 4.0gr Red Dot
200gr LSWC, 4.0gr Red Dot
185gr LSWC, 4.5gr Red Dot
200gr LSWC, 4.5gr Red Dot
185gr LSWC, 5.0gr Red Dot
200gr LSWC, 5.0gr Red Dot

I load six calibers with Titegroup. That is versatile [wink]

That's pretty good. I use W231 a bunch and find that very versatile as well. W231, Titegroup and Solo 1000 all have about the same burn rate but seems like Titegroup is the most popular. I think it is the fastest of the three... maybe that's why.

When I first started reloading about 30 years ago, I used 231 on the recommendation of a friend. After many years of experimentation I am still using 231; best non-magnum powder for the $, IMHO.

My vote's for Titegroup. Low charge weight, insensitive to case position, accurate, available, priced right, and very flexible. It has a good burn rate for 9mm and 40SW high pressure cartridges.

Other powders can, and have (faster powders), caused reloaders big problems. For example: I much prefer Winchester Super Target for 45acp over 231 ( just my preference - I know a lot of guys use it and love it - I used it for some time). I find it has far less muzzle flash than 231 and the pistol shoots flatter (in my estimation). It's also a good powder for 40SW for MODERATE loads. When you start to approach higher velocities (1050 fps+) the primers start to flatten at alarming rates. Titegroup doesn't do that. Add in a little bullet set back and you've got a recipe for a kaboom (and they just don't happen in Glocks).

Of course this is a nonissue for 45acp as that case operates at lower pressures. The point is that Titegroup does it all (9, 40, 38, 45) safely. It is a good all around powder.

As far as coated bullets are concerned, I loaded lead in 40 for a long time with no problems. I have a friend that swears by coated bullets in 40 with no problems.

Last edited:
My vote's for Titegroup. Low charge weight, insensitive to case position, accurate, available, priced right, and very flexible. It has a good burn rate for 9mm and 40SW high pressure cartridges.

Other powders can, and have (faster powders), caused reloaders big problems. For example: I much prefer Winchester Super Target for 45acp over 231 ( just my preference - I know a lot of guys use it and love it - I used it for some time). I find it has far less muzzle flash than 231 and the pistol shoots flatter (in my estimation). It's also a good powder for 40SW for MODERATE loads. When you start to approach higher velocities (1050 fps+) the primers start to flatten at alarming rates. Titegroup doesn't do that. Add in a little bullet set back and you've got a recipe for a kaboom (and they just don't happen in Glocks).

Of course this is a nonissue for 45acp as that case operates at lower pressures. The point is that Titegroup does it all (9, 40, 38, 45) safely. It is a good all around powder.

As far as coated bullets are concerned, I loaded lead in 40 for a long time with no problems. I have a friend that swears by coated bullets in 40 with no problems.

Scott- I use W231- you have me concerned about potential safety issues in 9mm and .40. The charts I've seen show that W231 and Titegroup have VERY similar burn rates. I've also heard that Titegroup has a high nitro content and has potential to cause pressure spikes and has high heats during combustion.

I mostly shoot 147gr (<1000ft/s) and 124gr (just around 1050 ft/s) with WSP primers- never seen high pressure issues in my Glocks with stock barrels.

I just started using W231 for S&W .40 with 5.1gr powder, Berrys 180gr, 1.130" COL, WSP... no signs of problems. Same experiences with .45ACP with same powder.

I have tried TG in 9mm loads and saw no differences in accuracy, pressure signs, recoil, etc.
Matter of fact one chart I have shows TG as a faster powder than 231.

I'm puzzled.

Last edited:
Lugnut:

I was refering to WST when I refered to possible pressure issues, not W231. Sorry if I was unclear. 231 should be fine.

As far as pressure is concerned; I've loaded some hot rounds with Titegroup with no problems. Although if I was going to load really hot, I'd go to IMR 7625, VV N350, or VV3n38.

Last edited:
I have just loaded 45's w/ clays and shot my best groups ever. Cleanest burning powder I have used, haven't tried other calibers yet.

Back
Top Bottom