Value and versatility of hard wheat

I've been looking into emergency food lately and have been amazed at the value and versatility of hard white wheat. I'm posting this for the benefit of others here who may not know about this great storage food or maybe are intimidated because it doesn't seem as easy to use as beans and white rice.

Hard wheat, stored properly in a mylar bag w/O2 remover packet and dessicant in a pail will keep for decades.

In a grid-down situation bread can be baked in a dutch oven in a fire or fireplace, or just baked directly in hot ashes (ash cake). A bread oven can be improvised using clay soil and straw http://www.geocities.com/mosesrocket/, bricks, cinder blocks, cement, etc... anything that you can burn a fire in that will retain the heat. Brown-type breads are cooked in a steaming pot. There are also many types of flat breads that are baked on a hot surface. The sourdough method is a way to leaven without a constant supply of commercial yeast. A sponge can be started naturally if no commercial yeast is available. Breads of many types are made by third-world peoples who don't have electric or gas ovens and commercial yeast. It can be a low-tech, simple food.

Wheat can also be coarsely ground and cooked as cream of wheat -- bland but better nutrition than white rice. Coarse-ground wheat can be added to soups and stews.

Wheat can be sprouted as wheatgrass to yield nutrients not found in the unsprouted grain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass

Cost wise, wheat gives a lot of bang for the buck. By my calculations, a pound of hard white wheat offers:
- 1,550 calories
- 7.8g fat
- 344g carbohydrates
- 51g protein
- 116% D.V. Iron
- a whole bunch of fiber

A 50 lb. bag contains 77,525 calories, which at 2000 cal/day will feed one person for 38 days. The last wheat I picked up from the Belchertown Co-op was $26.55 per bag ($18.33 wheat plus $8 freight from Montana to Belchertown) Ten bags for $266 will feed one person for a year or two people for 6 months. To put this into perspective... how much did you spend on your last gun or bulk ammo purchase?

Vegetable oil, salt, yeast packets, baking powder, and honey are good to store with the wheat for bread-making/cooking (rotate the oil, baking powder, and yeast).

I bought a Family Grain Mill with hand crank base for $119. I've been using home ground flour in my bread machine and the family loves it. I plan to start experimenting soon with non-electric bread making methods.

Any idea where to get bulk wheat in the greater Boston area?
We've been trying different bread recipes lately, and it would be cool to grind our own wheat from storage.

Vegetable oil, salt, yeast packets, baking powder, and honey are good to store with the wheat for bread-making/cooking (rotate the oil, baking powder, and yeast).

What's the best price you've found for honey? I've gotten a pail of dark wildflower for $96 in Billerica.

Best price for salt has been Wal-mart.

I hate to stock up on much oil, yeast, and baking powder because they expire so quickly. Basically we just try to keep one year's worth in the cellar.

I just ordered the hot jaw, 50 bags of 5mil mylar (24x28?) and the 02 absorbers from Sorbent. Finding the grain in bulk, preferably locally, is the next hurdle. Where 'bouts in B'rica did you find that much honey?

We also have the family grain mill. I haven't unpacked it yet to try it out...but that will happen as soon as I can locate grain locally. Honeyville will be our fall back but any tips on local sources (Whole Foods aside) within an hour of B'rica/Chelmsford/Lowell would be greatly appreciated!!

-ed

EDIT: DOH!! Thanks for the link. I should pay more attention to what my wife tells me. Turns out, she ordered her bees from those folks. I didn't realize they sold more than just the bees!! Very nice people. Her first nuc went bust from some disease and they gave her a second one no charge. She hasn't popped the top of the hive yet this winter, but it will be interesting to see how they over wintered come warmer weather. Because the second nuke got a late start, she didn't harvest any of the honey in hopes of giving/leaving them enough food to over winter.

Last edited:
What's the best price you've found for honey? I've gotten a pail of dark wildflower for $96 in Billerica.

Best price for salt has been Wal-mart.

I hate to stock up on much oil, yeast, and baking powder because they expire so quickly. Basically we just try to keep one year's worth in the cellar.

BJ's sells Fleischmann instant yeast 2-1# packages for about $7. I bought some about 2 months ago that has an expiration date of 09/2010.

Find someone you know who is in the food or restaurant business.
Good deals can be found from distributors like US FOODS or SYSCO.
Not everything is cheap but good deals are there.
Both of these distributors have minimums and because things are slow you may be able to find someone who will let you piggy back on their next delivery to help them fill an order.

Knowing how to start and maintain a sourdough starter may allow you to avoid having to store too much yeast.

Back
Top Bottom