VA: Hunter shot students, 1 dead

Also not blaming the victims whatsoever, but I can't imagine going into the woods during deer season without at least a blaze orange vest. It's insanity.

Knowing there are idiots like this hunter in every state, when we're up in Maine during deer season, we don't let the kids play in the yard, at all (both my sisters houses and my dad's house are out in hunting woods), and we dress the kids in orange just to walk from the house to the car. By the front door of everyone's house in November up there is a big pile of orange hats, vests, and gloves that you put on, even if you're just going to check the mail.

Again, not blaming the victim, but idiot hunters are everywhere.

+1. All the farmers down here have their blaze orange hats on come hunting season to minimize the chance they are mistaken for something other than a farmer. I agree it shouldn't be required, but why take the risk.

You would be really surprised what strange shapes can look like a deer in low light. That is why I always talk to myself or whoever is around very loudly when coming out of the woods at night. Sound carries a long way and last time I checked, deer don't talk much.

Deer dont carry flashlights. For that reason I always have one on walking in and out in the dark so I wont be mistaken for a deer.

UPDATE: time of shooting 4 PM

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/n...d_in_fatal_shooting_of_ferrum_student/306472/

FERRUM — A hunter faces manslaughter and other charges after authorities say he fired at college students he mistook for a deer, leaving one dead and another wounded.

A Ferrum College spokeswoman says three students were collecting frogs for a biology class at about 4 p.m. Tuesday when two were shot along a trail about a mile west of campus.

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries says 23-year-old Jessica Goode of Frederick County died after being shot in the chest, and 20-year-old Regis J. Boudinot of McLean was shot in the hand. The third student wasn’t injured.

Sgt. Karl Martin with the department says 31-year-old Jason David Cloutier of Ferrum was charged with manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm and trespassing.

The department says Coultier claimed he thought he was shooting at a deer.

A spokesman for Franklin County General District Court says Cloutier’s bond was set at $20,000, and he is due in court Dec. 2 for arraignment. She says he does not yet have a lawyer.

I went to college in VA and one of the sadest/scariest times of year was the start of deer season. The number of hunters who shot themselves, buddies, cows, dogs, other hunters was amazing. There were daily reports in the news, it was very sad. I just can't/couldn't fathom the lack of control/clue that these hunters were exhibiting. Gives us responsible shooters a bad name.

I went to college in VA and one of the sadest/scariest times of year was the start of deer season. The number of hunters who shot themselves, buddies, cows, dogs, other hunters was amazing. There were daily reports in the news, it was very sad. I just can't/couldn't fathom the lack of control/clue that these hunters were exhibiting. Gives us responsible shooters a bad name.

Your brain fills in the blanks and sees what it wants to see, like an impressionist painting. These people really believe they are looking at a deer.
Its like when you are salt water fishing and see some white caps, you think its a bait blitz. When someone passes away, you think you see them in a crowd later on. Some people's brains have too many blanks to fill in.

Here's a mugshot of piece of excrement Jason Cloutier.

He looks exactly like I would expect some back country inbred turd in camo to look like.

cloutier_jason_hunter111809.jpg

Your brain fills in the blanks and sees what it wants to see, like an impressionist painting. These people really believe they are looking at a deer.
Its like when you are salt water fishing and see some white caps, you think its a bait blitz. When someone passes away, you think you see them in a crowd later on. Some people's brains have too many blanks to fill in.

Yep. During the VA hunting course, they show pictures and you have to indicate shoot or don't shoot. Well, when in doubt, don't shoot. Anyway, in one of the pictures, there is a deer and most reasonable people would shoot. Then, after the transition, it is actually a guy carrying a deer on his back and walking really low to the ground. In that scenario, I think stupidity plays a big role. Here, I don't think the kids should be required to wear blaze orange, but if I were out in the woods I would be wearing it. Anything you can do to increase your visible profile during hunting season is a good thing. A blaze orange hat or vest costs $3. Anyone should be able to afford one.

Frankly, when I am out on my land anytime of year I have blaze orange on. Just not worth taking the chance that some trespassing moron thinks you are a coyote. [thinking]

Last edited:
Wasn't it in Vermont where a hunter shot a woman hanging out her laundry and he was acquitted on the defense that the woman was wearing white gloves?

Slightly off-topic, but how can you use the name rep 308 when your avatar clearly shows you to be Number 6 or Rover.

On-topic, on my hunting practical exam, we had a shotgun (loaded with blanks for one part and live ammo for another part) and shoot/ don't shoot targets. Get it up to your shoulder with a no shoot and you were out. Don't know what they would do if you actually fired.

Love the advice about wearing orange. Here in France it is obligatory for hunters on a "battue", ie a hunt with dogs or beaters and a number of other hunters. Not necessary for all other forms of hunting. As for the general public I have never seen a farmer or any other person wear orange, even though there are complaints about reckless hunters every year.

Finally, sorry for the kids and families. The moron should be made to suffer. An accidental misfire is understandable but unforgiveable. To deliberately shoot at an unidentified target once is bad, but twice .... What's the maximum for manslaughter over there. Not enough!

Back
Top Bottom