Uzi FTE issue

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

I just bought a really clean IMI Model A Uzi carbine (used) and I took it to the range for the first time last night. I noticed that I'm having FTE errors quite often (every three or four shots), and I'm not sure why. The gun is in exceptional shape, and appeared to be fairly clean internally, but I don't know much about these guns and I'm hoping someone has some experience with them here.

I was using Remington UMC ammo FWIW. I noticed that the action seems fairly robust (return spring is quite stiff) but the bolt carrier slides like butter, so I don't think it's binding anywhere. The folks I bought the gun from say it'll eat anything. I also tried multiple mags.

Any thoughts?

Hey everyone,

I just bought a really clean IMI Model A Uzi carbine (used) and I took it to the range for the first time last night. I noticed that I'm having FTE errors quite often (every three or four shots), and I'm not sure why. The gun is in exceptional shape, and appeared to be fairly clean internally, but I don't know much about these guns and I'm hoping someone has some experience with them here.

I was using Remington UMC ammo FWIW. I noticed that the action seems fairly robust (return spring is quite stiff) but the bolt carrier slides like butter, so I don't think it's binding anywhere. The folks I bought the gun from say it'll eat anything. I also tried multiple mags.

Any thoughts?

The Remington UMC is your problem. My UZI refuses to eat that. Try the Wally World Winchester White Box. The MASSIVE bolt on the UZI requires ammo with some punch to get it to run without errors!

Go pick up a box of Winchester White Box and watch your problems disappear. Uzi's generally eat ANYTHING, but certain lots of Remington UMC have been problematic. If this does not clear up, I have more suggestions. I don't know a lot about much, but I've got you covered in the HK and Uzi realm...[wink]

PS: Just for S-n-G, use a dental pic to inspect your extractor to make sure there's nothing gunked up in there. Also make sure your bolt is lubricated, (I use grease). If this is an IMI gun and not an IMI/Vector gun, you should be good to go....

Did you notice that your UMC brass was coming out blackened with soot? Thats a sign of under powered ammo as the brass isn't expanding enough under pressure to seal the chamber and gases are leaking back beyond the case mouth.

Uzis are very robust guns and will safely fire the hottest commercial and milsurp ammo out there. Mine have seen many brands and the only one that ever gave me problems was UMC and some crappy lot of Spanish stuff that a friend had.

My reloads, Wolf, Winchester, Danish milsurp, Chinese, German, Sellior&Bellot, Federal, MagTech, and best of all the 9mm+P+ Hirtenberger all work well in the Uzi.

Get some hotter ammo.....the hotter the better for the Uzi.

Back
Top Bottom