USPSA production starting mag capacity?

From appendix D in the rulebook :

"Maximum ammunition capacity - Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal"

Does this mean I start a G17 with 17 rounds then the rest of my reloads off the belt are 10 rounds?

Or like IDPA, 11 (10 +1 in chamber) to start then 10 rounds like normal?

10+1

The magazine in the gun is considered to contain be loaded.

You may, however, load 11 in the mag when you first charge the gun into a 10+1 configuration.

10+1

The magazine in the gun is considered to contain be loaded.

You may, however, load 11 in the mag when you first charge the gun into a 10+1 configuration.

Just make sure it charges. If the gun fails to chamber a round, say because you didn't seat the mag properly, welcome to open. Also, keep in mind that empty gun or empty chamber starts means 10 in every mag.

I'm stuck with 10 round mags, so I'm used to doing the barney dance at make ready. When the AWB is finally struck down or repealed, I'll probably keep doing it that way even with hi caps.

Just make sure it charges. If the gun fails to chamber a round, say because you didn't seat the mag properly, welcome to open. Also, keep in mind that empty gun or empty chamber starts means 10 in every mag.
Good point. You can not have more than (fixed) 10 IN THE MAG when the buzzer goes off. If you are starting with an empty gun, you are limited to 10 in the mag.

Last edited:
Remember, these are USPSA rules. The real (IPSC) mag capacity is 15 rounds for Production. I can't understand why the BOD insists on making up their own rules.

IPSC had no capacity limit in production until recently. The limit was whatever the factory capacity was. Therefore, there were only a few pistols at the top of the heap. Adding the 15 round limit was an improvement for IPSC, but I don't think the change would be a particular improvement for USPSA, even without counting the 10 round limit states.

USPSA makes their own rules because IPSC is one vote per country no matter the fact that the US has as many shooters as all of the other regions combined. If USPSA didn't have their own rules, we wouldn't have targets with heads anymore.

I do a chamber check every time I drop the slide on an admin reload. I can see if a round went into the chamber or not.

I see so few shooters doing this, it amazes me.

And no, I've never had a stoppage from a slide out of battery after a chamber check. I physcially force the slide into battery.

Try an M&P with a 10-round mag with the "new" crappy followers.

I had trouble with both the old followers and the new "improved" pieces of junk. My solution was to remove one coil from the mag spring with the old followers. When this didn't work with the new "improved" followers, I removed about 1/8 of an inch from the bottom rear of the follower. This has solved the problem; 10,000 rounds or so with no failures to feed or seat the mag.

IPSC also has a minimum trigger weight for Production and allows race holsters in Production.

I forgot the mention that. Also, there is a size limit on the pistols. Five inch guns need not apply. I believe the longest barrel slide combo is 4.7 in a la the CZ Shadow. I still can't understand why the USPSA BOD just can't leave well enough alone and simply follow the international rules.

So you want a minimum trigger weight and race holsters and ban some of the most popular production guns? (G34, M&P Pro) You want to shoot the amoeba targets exclusively? You want to take whatever rule changes half the countries in IPSC decide on, some of which probably have fewer shooters than one of the larger single clubs in the US?

I agree that it sucks that there are different rulebooks, but the US sucking it up and letting the rest of the world dictate our rules isn't the answer. Make voting the the IPSC board proportional to the membership and then we could have one rulebook. That's probably not the best solution either. I think the current situation is one of the better possible solutions.

I forgot the mention that. Also, there is a size limit on the pistols. Five inch guns need not apply. I believe the longest barrel slide combo is 4.7 in a la the CZ Shadow. I still can't understand why the USPSA BOD just can't leave well enough alone and simply follow the international rules.

They aren't well enough to leave alone.

I shot the US IPSC Nats on Sat. Just like the year before, dedicated Production shooters were switching to Standard because of the rules. Firstly, a Ghost holster says anything but "Production". Second, the trigger weight requirement screws the Glock and M&P shooters, and benefits the CZ/Berettas. The CZ guys have the DA 5lbs and the SA around 2lbs. Last year I saw people without trigger jobs failing the trigger weight tests! If the BOD followed the International rules, there would be a market for reverse trigger jobs.

Aside from targets without heads, IPSC doesn't allow bullets under 120gr for major, they have 160pf for Open and 170pf for Standard, and they don't let you take more than one sight picture. The mag capacity for Production is the only positive.

Doesn't IPSC also think the US poppers look like babies and doesn't allow them. And that if you don't cut the wood above the Metric target, it looks like you are shooting a person with their hands up

Doesn't IPSC also think the US poppers look like babies and doesn't allow them. And that if you don't cut the wood above the Metric target, it looks like you are shooting a person with their hands up

I learned this in my USPSA RO course... but I think you can't have mini poppers on the same stage as large poppers (because it looks like your shooting kids).

Back
Top Bottom