USPSA @ New Bedford – 9/23

After much planning and work, the Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford will begin hosting USPSA matches on the 4th Sunday of the month, starting in September.

Matches will generally be 4 stages (including a classifier) with a match fee of $20. Shooting starts at 9:30am.

Info on matches at New Bedford can be found at:
http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/action.htm

Schedule:
http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/schedules/schedule.htm

Directions to the club:
http://www.rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Anyone wishing to help out, please send an email the contact on the website.

Dave,
Can't make it this month. A friend passed away and we're going to a memorial service on Sunday.
Is the shotgun match on the 30th on? There's nothing posted. It would be good to get some practice in before West Point.

I am planning on going. I tried USPSA while on vacation in the Carolinas and I think I'm hooked. This will be my official first match in MA as a USPSA member. Hope to see some NES members there.

I've never been to New Bedford or North Dartmouth -
How long (time) a drive is the New Bedford club from Boston? mapquest puts the club 61 miles from Somerville.

I'm gonna try to make it...

Thanks

Paul

Dave- and the New Bedford folks- great job with that match today. It's been about 5-7 years since I was last at that club, what a huge improvement you people have done.
Outstanding.

You should have seen our squad, Mike. I forgot to reload a mag that was on my belt......during the stage I grabed it and threw it in the gun before I registered it was empty! Razzing ensued! What a great match though, good job New Bedford...can't wait till the next one.

By the way, the guys at New Bedford did an incredible job. The match was great and the new ranges are awesome. They are like Harvard but on a smaller scale (less walking!). I'm looking forward to some really intersting stages there.

The single stage using the two pits is begging to be done. Maybe a pistol-to-shotgun or rifle multigun stage?

I know I speak for Dave B when I say that the positive response from all the shooters today, to our facility and match, is greatly appreciated. It will be tough to live up to the standards set by the other clubs in the section.

We spent a couple of hours after the match organizing our storage box. We'll be building new props, training some inexperienced but enthusiastic people, and generally working hard during the off-season in preparation for our first full season next year. The support and encouragement you all exhibited today was humbling. Thank you.

Hope to see you all next month (forth Sunday in October)- and next Sunday for our shotgun match!

Today's match shows the potential of what the New Bedford Club has to offer to the USPSA community.

You guys did a great job - the pits look great - Thanks for all the hard work ...

Results are up.

http://www.uspsa-ne.org/results/20070923_newbedford.txt

Thanks to all who came out to play and all who helped out with setup, during the match and breaking down the stages. A little help from everyone goes a real long way.

It sure does. My squad had our pit cleared of props just shortly after noon. Quite nice for the 4 stage match. Great job guys. I'm looking forward to many more USPSA/IPSC matches there.

Michael Chludenski.

It was part of the learning process. Next time I am done shooting I will put my empty magazines in my pocket and not on my belt. Lesson learned. At least we got a good laugh [smile]

when you are done shooting the stage, go back to your range bag, unload any mags that still have rounds in them, clean off any rounds that are dirty. Clean all of your mags, then load them back up. Put them on your belt, then go back to helping the squad. Don't feel pressured or rushed, This is your time to decompress, and get your equipment cleaned and ready for the next stage.

You want your equipment ready to go before you get to the next stage so that you can focus on the walk through and get your plan set

when you are done shooting the stage, go back to your range bag, unload any mags that still have rounds in them, clean off any rounds that are dirty. Clean all of your mags, then load them back up. Put them on your belt, then go back to helping the squad. Don't feel pressured or rushed, This is your time to decompress, and get your equipment cleaned and ready for the next stage.

You want your equipment ready to go before you get to the next stage so that you can focus on the walk through and get your plan set

Perfectly said SM- I made the mistake of grabbing a half full magazine off my belt when I was just getting started too. Now the above is one of my standard procedures every time - just like loading my gun and making ready the exact same way every time. Even if it is a short round count stage, I still top my gun off so that it is done as a habit.

Yep, one of those things that all competition shooters seem to do ONCE. [smile] Me included. [wink]

Another tip is if the course of fire mandates reloads, download the magazine you are going to go to by one round thus making it easier to seat fully. This of course assumes you won't need the full compliment of rounds the magazine holds. I shoot production and Limited-10 a lot where it makes more of a difference. [wave]

Reminder that the New Bedford club will host a shotgun match this Sunday 9/30.

Yep, one of those things that all competition shooters seem to do ONCE. [smile] Me included. [wink]

Another tip is if the course of fire mandates reloads, download the magazine you are going to go to by one round thus making it easier to seat fully.

Yep, I learned that hard lesson at the sectionals[frown]

I always empty my mags after a stage, break down the mags, and clean the tubes, then inspect and refill everything. I watched a GM do that at a match and after every stage he inspected all of his mag springs and tweaked them to mag sure they stacked straight every time. He was stuffing 21 rounds in a 140mm mag and whatever he was doing was working for him.

There have been some times recently where I've looked at ammo that has come out of dropped mags I've emptied and just set it aside rather than using it in the rest of the match. It just had too much dirt and sand clinging too it. Since I'm never running low on ammo it is so easy to just not worry about even wiping it down and grab some shiny stuff out of the box. When you case gage your ammo you see how little can take (like one little kernel of powder) to cause a round not to chamber the same as all the others.

Doing the little routine things and perventive maintence just brings peace of mind and repeatability so you can go into each stage with the same comfort and focus (at least in theory).

Back
Top Bottom