US Virgin Islands

Anyone know the concealed carry laws for USVI?

I.e. is there a way for a class-A licensed MA resident to check a firearm in luggage and carry in USVI?

Well, they do have a process if you go to their website:

[h=2]Bringing Firearms into the Virgin Islands[/h]The Firearms Unit recommends that you Do Not bring your States side licensed firearm into our beautiful islands if you will only be visiting for a short while.
If you bring firearms into the islands without contacting the Firearms Unit, you can have your firearm(s) confiscated and be prosecuted in accordance to the laws of the US Virgin Islands.
We do recognize law enforcement and/or retired law enforcement officers’ licenses once you have the credentials and met our criteria.
Here in the Virgin Islands we are very strict on firearms and ammunition. When coming into the United States Virgin Islands please call our office to find out our rules and regulations on firearms we will be happy to assist you.
If you come into the US Virgin Islands with a firearm you must IMMEDIATELY contact the Firearms Unit according to VI law.

http://www.vipd.gov.vi/Departments/Office_of_the_Police_Commissioner/Firearms_Unit.aspx
It seems like they have som unwritten rules and regulations regarding CCW and I am curious to what they are.. It wouldn't hurt contacting them and get it in writing.

They won't let you bring one in and they will not give you a license unless you are a resident. Remember; it's a Territory not a state. They could give a rats about your local license.

The good news is you can probably bribe your way out of any arrest.

I contacted the Firearms unit, and this is what they responded:
Good Day,

My name is Ms. XXXX XXXX, Data Entry Operator in the firearms unit. All firearms coming into the territory must be shipped from FFl dealer to one of our FFL dealers here on the island. However, if you are coming only for a few weeks then it does not make sense to bring it with you. We do have a reciprocal license that you can fill out but I am not sure as to how long the processing of the application is going to take. Please feel free to contact me so that we could discuss this more in detail as I do not want to give you the wrong information. The number is XXX-XXX-XXXX
It appears that they have a process in place, but that doesn't mean they give out the licenses easily. If anyone if planning on going to the USVI, I think they should at least give it a try. Otherwise, I will be willing to accept donations for a ticket and accomdations to the USVI for the month of January and find out myself ;-)

Back
Top Bottom