US M1 Find

Kinda strange that i seeing talk about M1 lately, and my friend walks in with this for me to clean for him. It was left to him from his father. He bruoght it back when he left the army along with a M1 cabine and a duece and a half. He has the carbine but the duece is in a local junk yard. If i am reading serial # right it was built in august 1945. Seeing what you guys think of it and if # are matching. It has been in the closet since the 50s. Thxs for looking us1 5.jpg us1 4.jpg us1 3.jpg us1 7.jpg us1.jpg us1 2.jpg us1 6.jpg

Im no expert at all but it has what appears to be a 10 1964 electropenciled on the reciever, like to know the barrel date seen with op rod pulled back under the handguard area. Knowing when his dad left the army is a good thing also...... My friend also came to me with a pile of stuff his dad got back from the army. We later found out through friends and relatives and some note books we found he obtained 90% of the stuff several years after he left the services. Nothing was brought home from the army or his short stint in korea at the very end of the war. Nice looking rifle though!

numbers do not match on garands. The numbers you find are "drawing numbers" you can roughly date parts with these.

numbers do not match on garands. The numbers you find are "drawing numbers" you can roughly date parts with these.

heres some info to get you started http://www.thegca.org/glossary-of-terms
We know from the electropen mark it was rebuilt by SA in 1964 so his dad would have had to aquire it sometime after that.

Looks like the receiver was made some time between January to May of 1944. The Op rod looks to be post war (as evidenced by the drawing number starting with "65" vs. "D"). The bolt appears to be from the 1942 time period, so it's possible it was original to the gun, but not likely.

All that said, a very nice example of a Garand.

All of my comments are based upon what I see on the site referenced above by jpm.

Chris

The drawing number on it doesn't have the sharp edges of the other stampings. Sometime a re-parkerizing or even re-bluing of a firearm will result in the roll-marks or stamping looking like they are more shallow or filled in. Compare the markings on the op-rod to those on the side of the receiver. The receiver looks sharper and more clear.

Chris

The drawing number on it doesn't have the sharp edges of the other stampings. Sometime a re-parkerizing or even re-bluing of a firearm will result in the roll-marks or stamping looking like they are more shallow or filled in. Compare the markings on the op-rod to those on the side of the receiver. The receiver looks sharper and more clear.

^^This. And the finish looks too perfect on it, there's no wear showing unlike the typical used oprod.

looks like his dad liked to tinker with surplus guns. put together parts kits maybe. or just bought parts as needed? I would ask him if there are others ? nice project gun there(carbine)

His dad left him a few guns, he's trying to decide if keep them or sell and leaning to sell. He also has a real nice lyman.If he does want to sell would like to see them go to someone on here instead of a online site.Thxs mac1911 for all your help

Back
Top Bottom