Upgrading sights on a C&R handgun

45collector

NES Member
I initially thought this question should go in the laws section. I think it fits better here. Mods if I'm wrong, please move.

I know that any permenant modifications to a C&R firearm will void it's C&R status. I'd like to get some opinions on what my options are here:

I have 2 very nice shape East German Makarovs. One has a huge importer's paragraph on the right side of the slide, so I've decided this is the one that'll be carried.

The stock sights on these nice little guns are horrible. For target they're ok, but for quick aquisition and low-light, they suck. Putting a little white nail polish on the front sight helps a little, (and won't mess with the C&R stat) but still isn't satisfactory. If you're aiming at anything white, the front sight disappears.

I'd love to have Greg Derr put in a dovetail front and a novak-style rear, with white dots, but this will definitely kill the C&R. What if I bought a used slide and had that done, and just installed it when I carry the gun? I'd keep the original slide in stock configuration.

I think I already know the answer to that one: "By Fed law, you'd have to log the gun out of your bound book the moment you installed the extra slide."

[crying]

These guns are reliable, accurate and conceal very well. I just can't stand the miniscule sights. Help me out here guys.

I always understood it that any "permanant changes" altered the C&R status. Changing sights or slides are not permanant and un-reversable. Therefore they should have no effect on the C&R status. It is like changing a stock from wood to black resin or camo. You can always put the wood back and restore the rifle. And if the changes were permanent and changed the C&R status I believe that would simply mean that the weapon is "no longer eligible for sale as a C&R", not that you are unable to possess it. Once you buy it you own it and can do whatever is legal to it...you just may not be able to sell it to someone out of state as C&R eligible.

I don't plan on selling them. But I still think you're supposed to log them out of your book once they're no longer in original configuration.

I think I may start searching for a used slide and then send it off to Greg.

Too bad Crimson Trace doesn't make lasergrips for the Mak! [laugh]

I'm not sure about logging it out of your bound book. When the ATF reviews any bound book I understand that they verify C&R acquisitions (match the weapon serial number from weapon to book), confirm eligibility (age or was it on the list) and insure that any sale is documented, if to a C&R holder the license is listed or buyer/LTC data if no C&R was required. So why remove from the bound book? They want to know if it was C&R eligible when purchased and if you actually have it in your possession. Your log is to record it at acquisition and disposition. Again why would you need to log it out. Unless you sold it the ATF will want to see it listed in the bound book, it is a recond of the acquisition. You might ultimately make sure to keep copies of any alterations you make to allow you to "put it back to the way it was when you bought it" if you ever sell it.

Back
Top Bottom