upgrading lic. in stoughton.

jumpinjoe383

Banned
Ok so im new here. I currently have a FID card for 2 years and have a hunting license for around 4 years. Spent a year working at Dicks behind the gun counter. I want to go in a upgrade my lic. to a LTC A ALP. I need another safety course because the one for the FID says FID Only on it. I was wonderign how I go about it? And the likelyhood of getting a ALP in Stoughton. I have never been arrested, charged, or given a ticket other than a parking ticket. I have never bought a gun either because i have been able to use friends shotguns for hunting. My Fid doesnt expire till 2011 can i upgrade now?

how do i go about upgrading?

what is the likely hood of Ltc A ALP in Stoughton?

Can I upgrade to LTC before FID expires?

Thanks guys looking forward to your replies.

There are plenty of people on this forum who do the pistol safety course.

GOAL (gun owners action league) also gives them.

In the Gun Law section of this forum you can look up to see whether your town is a "green" town or not. Green meaning: They will issue you an unrestricted Class A without special reasons.

You can have an FID AND a LTC at the same time. If you go in to apply after you take your safety course, make sure the computer doesn't automatically cancel out your FID. I've had that, and the opposite, canceling my LTC, happen because the officer using the computer wasn't that familiar with people who maintain BOTH licenses.

You can have an FID AND a LTC at the same time. If you go in to apply after you take your safety course, make sure the computer doesn't automatically cancel out your FID. I've had that, and the opposite, canceling my LTC, happen because the officer using the computer wasn't that familiar with people who maintain BOTH licenses.

Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit of maintaining both?

Ok so im new here. I currently have a FID card for 2 years and have a hunting license for around 4 years. Spent a year working at Dicks behind the gun counter. I want to go in a upgrade my lic. to a LTC A ALP. I need another safety course because the one for the FID says FID Only on it. I was wonderign how I go about it? And the likelyhood of getting a ALP in Stoughton. I have never been arrested, charged, or given a ticket other than a parking ticket. I have never bought a gun either because i have been able to use friends shotguns for hunting. My Fid doesnt expire till 2011 can i upgrade now?

how do i go about upgrading?

what is the likely hood of Ltc A ALP in Stoughton?

Can I upgrade to LTC before FID expires?

Thanks guys looking forward to your replies.

According to this thread Stoughton is a green town and the upgrade should not be a problem.

i dont wish to maintain both just wish to upgrade? Anyone have recent or past experience with the stoughton pd.the fid was pretty easy but dont knwo anyone in town with an ltc

Bassturd, there are a few reasons you might want both. IF for some reason a renewal of your LTC were delayed or denied, the FID card would allow you to keep possession of some of your guns in your home, as long as the reason you were denied or delayed was not a dis-qualifier. Without the FID, you would loose all your long guns as well as your handguns with a denial.

Remember, the FID is SHALL ISSUE, and the LTC is at the COP's discretion. The Chief can just say he doesn't think you are suitable for renewal of your LTC,, but he has to have cause to revoke your FID, and only then after due process.

Also, when a bill like the Safe Streets act in 1996 was passed, it made people with DUI and other offenses dis qualifiers for a LTC. If such a law was passed again, and it cost you your LTC, but not your FID, you could still buy ammo and keep your long guns. Without another license you lose it all.

While elements of the Safe Streets act were determined by the courts to be "Ex Post Facto" rulings, (after the fact), until the specifics of the laws were determined by case law, people lost all their rights to posses firearms.

In my case, in 1997 I was delayed n renewal of my LTC. At that time an FID allowed you to keep a handgun in the home. When the COP asked me to turn in my firearms, I produced a valid FID, and kept my guns. I'm sure I took better care of them than the police would for the 8 months it took in the courts to straighten out the question.

While it does cost me an additional $100 every six years to maintain both licenses, I do so, and they overlap so that no state paperwork foul up or simple error would ever cost me my guns.

How about "he already paid for the FID, he might as well keep it until it expires?"

At the time of FID expiration, he can determine if he wants to pay again and keep it or not.

PDs are real quick to cancel the FID and confiscate it (they can't legally, but they still will do it) if you let them . . . by telling them you want to "upgrade".

Best to just apply for the LTC. If interviewed, tell them you are keeping the FID.

Process questions can be answered by reading the Stickies in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum.

Bassturd, there are a few reasons you might want both. IF for some reason a renewal of your LTC were delayed or denied, the FID card would allow you to keep possession of some of your guns in your home, as long as the reason you were denied or delayed was not a dis-qualifier. Without the FID, you would loose all your long guns as well as your handguns with a denial.

Remember, the FID is SHALL ISSUE, and the LTC is at the COP's discretion. The Chief can just say he doesn't think you are suitable for renewal of your LTC,, but he has to have cause to revoke your FID, and only then after due process.

Also, when a bill like the Safe Streets act in 1996 was passed, it made people with DUI and other offenses dis qualifiers for a LTC. If such a law was passed again, and it cost you your LTC, but not your FID, you could still buy ammo and keep your long guns. Without another license you lose it all.

While elements of the Safe Streets act were determined by the courts to be "Ex Post Facto" rulings, (after the fact), until the specifics of the laws were determined by case law, people lost all their rights to posses firearms.

In my case, in 1997 I was delayed n renewal of my LTC. At that time an FID allowed you to keep a handgun in the home. When the COP asked me to turn in my firearms, I produced a valid FID, and kept my guns. I'm sure I took better care of them than the police would for the 8 months it took in the courts to straighten out the question.

While it does cost me an additional $100 every six years to maintain both licenses, I do so, and they overlap so that no state paperwork foul up or simple error would ever cost me my guns.

Yes but if you have something that disqualifies you from having an LTC, then anything under the FID would also be taken as you are most likely a felon. So after five years you can get that FID but you are still breaking federal laws by possessing a long gun or ammo or trying to purchase either.

So the FID only helps on a suitability denial but not a disqualified (as I understand it, someone correct me if I am wrong)

B&D, you're almost right. Remember that DUI's before a certain date do not disqualify you automatically, though it could be used as a reason for an unsuitable denial.

Especially with new laws, it can take some time for enough case law to be established before something is determined to be a dis qualifier of a LTC or not. In the meantime, the FID card keeps old "Betsy" in the closet.

Some things that are felonies now, weren't years ago, like DUI or assault and battery, which could be something as simple as a fist fight in the school yard. The ruling of guilty of A&B sounds a lot worse than punching the bully in the school yard.

Last edited:
B&D, you're almost right. Remember that DUI's before a certain date do not disqualify you automatically, though it could be used as a reason for an unsuitable denial.

Especially with new laws, it can take some time for enough case law to be established before something is determined to be a dis qualifier of a LTC or not. In the meantime, the FID card keeps old "Betsy" in the closet.

right but if you have an actual disqualifier, then an FID ggoes bye-bye as well.

Back
Top Bottom