Union Leader: What's triggering a shortage of guns?

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=What%27s+triggering+a+shortage+of+guns%3f&articleId=9558e862-8720-40f8-a87e-8ce6531ec228

Whether shopping online, at Wal-Mart or local sporting goods stores, gun enthusiasts continue to forage for .45-caliber bullets, handguns and tactical rifles -- fallout from what some would say has been a perfect storm of economic and political change over the past 10 months, fueled by fear.

"Three main elements that have been behind this are the potential for pending legislation on the federal level, a federal administration that doesn't have any regard for the rights of individuals, and just a general sense of uncertainty," said Paul Gauffin, of State Line Gun Shop in Mason.

"There's a lot of anxiety in society today caused by the economy and the unstable job market, and a lot of political turbulence. Couple all those factors and it creates a climate that makes people want to dig in -- and part of that urge is hoarding ammunition," Gauffin said.

At Al's Gun & Reel Shop in Derry, owner Theresa Bacon said that from a business standpoint, it's frustrating.

"I have three particular revolvers on order with Smith & Wesson since July. I've got the deposits, but I can't get the merchandise. They tell us they are way behind in production," Bacon said. "I don't know how far behind they are, but Kimber (a gun manufacturer) told us they are 200,000 guns behind."

The surge in gun sales, which spiked around November of last year, has created scarcity of trickle-down proportions, leaving consumers high and dry. Certain items, like pistols and tactical rifles -- also known as "home defense" guns -- are still nearly impossible to get, said Bacon.

Most recent industry statistics show that, while the trend is leveling out, demand still far exceeds supply.

"Even black powder and other supplies are scarce. And when we finally do get them, the price goes up. We are constantly price-checking to make sure we're not under pricing ourselves," Bacon said. "But then I have to deal with cranky customers who can't get what they want, and don't want to pay more for what they can."

Jeff Kasprzyk of Derry, a regular at Bacon's shop, admits he has been hoarding ammunition for years.

"People have stockpiles, that's part of the problem. I moved up here from Massachusetts, and I was feeling the infringement coming from a Democratic state. Now that I'm getting back into sports shooting, I guess I'm about to find out how hard it is to find certain ammunition," Kasprzyk said.

Conservative gun owners like Kasprzyk say they continue to feel threatened by liberal lawmakers who they believe have their sights set on eroding existing gun ownership rights.

State Sen. Robert Letourneau, R-Derry, said that was what he was hearing around this time last year from many of his constituents. With a new legislative session looming, he's still waiting to see what's in the pipeline.

"There is some negative legislation that has been filed this year. All we can see right now are the titles, but a number have been filed here in the House that I'd consider anti-gun," Letourneau said.

Letourneau said other changes in the past year have contributed to ammunition shortages, including a directive in March from the Department of Defense to discontinue its recycling of brass from spent ammunition. Instead of reloading the casings for resale to the public, the metal is now scrapped.

Of even greater concern to gun owners would be legislation from Washington that could reinforce long-feared reforms, including federal reinstatement of the ban on some semiautomatic rifles and increases in federal excise taxes on ammunition.

As hunting season begins, Gauffin said hunters are about the only ones immune from the shortages.

His Mason gun shop shelves are stocked with most of the larger game rifle calibers. "They're available, albeit not plentiful. But there's enough to go around. It's pistol and military style ammo that's hard to find," Gauffin said.

And that threatens other gun-related businesses. An employee of Firing Line Target Range in Manchester said right now they have no 380- or 45-caliber, or 30 carbine ammo for target shooting.

"Carbine, used in World War II, used to be cheap to shoot. Now we can't get it," he said. "And if we don't have bullets, we're out of business."

Letourneau said other changes in the past year have contributed to ammunition shortages, including a directive in March from the Department of Defense to discontinue its recycling of brass from spent ammunition. Instead of reloading the casings for resale to the public, the metal is now scrapped.

[rofl]

Can someone send this guy a memo? [laugh]

Hell, I still have people sending me emails about it and it was resolved many months ago.

-Mike

Take a ride to four seasons in Woburn. He's got TONS of .45, 5.56, .223, and 9mm. I just bought 300 rounds of Winchester White box FMJs today.

This article was published in a NH newspaper.
Unfortunately, the majority of us here in the Free State cannot purchase ammo in the PRM while folks from south of the border continue to drive north to pillage our ammo supplies.

This article was published in a NH newspaper.
Unfortunately, the majority of us here in the Free State cannot purchase ammo in the PRM while folks from south of the border continue to drive north to pillage our ammo supplies.

Trust me, you're not missing much down here. Some of the stores down here will give you price breaks on quantity or run specials, etc.... but I still generally find -way- better ammo deals in NH. . Not to mention you'd be paying an extra 6.25% in taxes to U-haul Patrick down here.

-Mike

Trust me, you're not missing much down here. Some of the stores down here will give you price breaks on quantity or run specials, etc.... but I still generally find -way- better ammo deals in NH. . Not to mention you'd be paying an extra 6.25% in taxes to U-haul Patrick down here.

-Mike
I'll be up in NH this weekend. Any free hints on where to look in the land of "Live Free or Die" for a decent supply & good deal on .223 or 5.56 55 gr mc ammo that is reliable in an AR and not too dirty? [grin]

CLMN

I'll be up in NH this weekend. Any free hints on where to look in the land of "Live Free or Die" for a decent supply & good deal on .223 or 5.56 55 gr mc ammo that is reliable in an AR and not too dirty? [grin]

CLMN

Riley's in Hooksett pretty much has the best prices on 5.56 in the region.

I would call before heading up though to make sure they have some in stock... it tends to come and go in waves. Sometimes they'll have cases laying around other times its all gone.

-Mike

I would call before heading up though to make sure they have some in stock... it tends to come and go in waves. Sometimes they'll have cases laying around other times its all gone.

-Mike
Thanks for the tip... and yes, I'll be sure to call ahead. [grin]

CLMN

-Mike
Riley's also has plenty of Serb .308 FMJ. Was up there over the weekend and purchased six boxes. Good stuff, very clean and accurate.

The writer of this article must be either an idiot, or has not stepped foot into a gun store recently. I have been to Rileys within the past week and they had ar-15s on both sides of the ar section rack, and had a ton of glocks and a fair amount of other handguns. I was at Kittery trading post as well and they had more ar-15's there than I have ever seen, not to mention a good selection of handguns, and the normal amount of shotguns and long rifles.

My dad bought my ruger p345 there. It was a fair price at the time (2005), especially since we didn't pay sales tax on it. They don't have the best prices but when I was there last week, it wasn't that bad. They were charging the same rileys was for ammo. The diff is that KTP has a 5% sales tax. I bought 100 rounds of 223 there for $9/box and paid $2.50 in tax (so 47.5 cents/shot. While its not the best price, it is less than I paid for the rest of the 223 I have (50 cents/shot), and was cheaper than rileys cause rileys didn't have any the day I was there.

Back
Top Bottom