Uncharted Territory

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Little White Truck came today, softening my first day out of work on medical disability for the three concussions I have suffered in the last two years.

DOW ZF4 scope for the K43. Original scope and base; rings are reproduction as may be the sun shade. I have a reproduction rubber eye piece and lens cover on order. I've never sighted in a scope before. The painter's tape on the receiver is to check for the bolt housing recoil with the new shooters kit which I also have to try out.

I traded in my 1918 M08 Colt in .25 for another 1918 a few thousand pieces later. The first one had been refinished while this one is not; about 85% finish with correct oil quenched finish on back strap and trigger. Also, the new ankle holster came today.

Gotta read up on how to sight one of these in. I've already loosened the rings to adjust the scope horizontally; the sight picture was canted about 15 degrees.

T

Last edited:
I'd suggest bore sight it first so you're at least in the neighborhood of where you want to hit.

Interesting scope! Appears to be in great condition. Even the most stalwart iron sight guys need to check out some glass now and then.

Cool little Colt. My brother has one that was originally our great uncle's who served in WWII Philippines. I have a 1903 that was my great uncle's and was also carried by my dad in his 'brain bag' as an airline pilot post Vietnam. This was in the days when crew bypassed metal detectors and way before air marshalls. Reminds me I should take pics and post info.

I called a Friend who has a scope that looks much like yours on his mauser. He says his mount is a reproduction but believes the scope is real? Anyway he said he needed to remove the caps to zero the scope.
Says he adjust windage until the reticle was in line with the front sight?
Then the same for elevation....he says after that the adjustments are not really great ? Doesn't really work like a modern scope?
Says windage is about 1/2 moa click and only about 4 moa left and right.
Elevation is about 50 yard increments.

Now once you figure out the mechanics of making the adjustments you "zero" a scope like this

If you zero it at 25 yards it will be close at 100 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Range report. 42 degrees, windy and bright. After laser bore sighting, shot a 2 inch group in the six ring at 3:00. Adjusted the scope to read at 100M The windage screw did change the reticule. Need to find out what to do here. Shot iron sights at 100M. First 5 were low with the front blade on the bottom of the black. Shot 10 more with the blade covering the black. Next time I will set the leaf at 150M. Shooter's kit was perfect; brass went 3-7 feet at 3:00. One case skittered 12 feet on concrete. The tape mark I set on the receiver was not cut. Good to go. Ammo was Hornady Vintage.

T

Range report. 42 degrees, windy and bright. After laser bore sighting, shot a 2 inch group in the six ring at 3:00. Adjusted the scope to read at 100M The windage screw did change the reticule. Need to find out what to do here. Shot iron sights at 100M. First 5 were low with the front blade on the bottom of the black. Shot 10 more with the blade covering the black. Next time I will set the leaf at 150M. Shooter's kit was perfect; brass went 3-7 feet at 3:00. One case skittered 12 feet on concrete. The tape mark I set on the receiver was not cut. Good to go. Ammo was Hornady Vintage.

T

If I understood my friend right you remove the 3 screws from the cap. Then adjust the scope to "zero"
Then you place the caps in the proper location ....or 100m setting?
Same for windage I guess?
From his words..... the scope sucks if your used to the fine adjustments of modern scopes.

Last edited:
When we removed the screws and cap, there was a slotted screw for adjusting - both for windage and elevation. The elevation worked, the other didn't. I've already made arrangements to return it.

T

Ahh...I see.
My friend doesn't really know anything about what he has. Real or repro . The scope looks old. The mount looks brand new. It's a side mount on a mauser. It's rather high and cantilever style. He bought it from a family member.

One thing about the old scopes is you have to admire the folks who actually used these.

Back
Top Bottom