Uberti 1873

Just purchased a Uberti 1873, Special Sporting Rifle in .45 LC. The abbreviated manual shows absolutely nothing of takedown/breakdown procedure. This type of rifle is new to me.

I do break down all my firearms for a thorough cleaning as needed, but am just not familiar with this particular piece....and the manual says nothing. This if my first lever action so I have nothing to go by.

Today, did send e-mails to both Uberti and Stoeger looking for further info.

Does anyone here know of a manual that will address this? Thanks in advance for any info.........

Try the Winchester websights for a manual. I am assuming the Uberti is a Winchester knock off (I am not familiar with these though). Brownell's might also have an "exploded drawing" of the rifle that may be of use also.

Try the Winchester websights for a manual. I am assuming the Uberti is a Winchester knock off (I am not familiar with these though). Brownell's might also have an "exploded drawing" of the rifle that may be of use also.

Thank you Rickg. I guess that because this is my first of this type, I want/need a little guidance as to breakdown. If push comes to shove, will experiment with the breakdown. Just looking for "proper" procedure.

The side plates should have 1 screw on each side. Remove them and the side plates will come off. The side plates have a clip on 1 end that is on the inside. Lift the side plate from the screw end and disengage the clip on the other end. This will expose the toggle link action. The action comes apart without removing any screws or pins. I was told this design was to make cleaning from blackpowder ammo, easier.

The side plates should have 1 screw on each side. Remove them and the side plates will come off. The side plates have a clip on 1 end that is on the inside. Lift the side plate from the screw end and disengage the clip on the other end. This will expose the toggle link action. The action comes apart without removing any screws or pins. I was told this design was to make cleaning from blackpowder ammo, easier.

Thank you. Today just cleaned out the bbl. and magazine to get rid of factory stuff. The magazine tube and spring was loaded with factory lube. The tube (and spring) was treated (by me) with EZ OX. Bbl the same. Swabed it out so I could start from zero. Will get into what you describe tomorrow

. Would really like some guidance as to how to disassemble for a thorough cleaning...for now and for the future. Am leery of just disassembling....without knowing what I'm doing. Grin, have done it in the past...just looking to make things easier with some guidance.

When you take off the first side plate, look at the toggle link action and either remember how it goes together or take the pieces out and lay them on the table the way they go. If you don't, when you turn the rifle over to remove the other side plate, the parts may fall out and you won't know how they go back together.

When you take off the first side plate, look at the toggle link action and either remember how it goes together or take the pieces out and lay them on the table the way they go. If you don't, when you turn the rifle over to remove the other side plate, the parts may fall out and you won't know how they go back together.

That's why I was looking for some sort of manual or procedure. Have no problem disassembling a 1911....but this item is new to me.

Thank you, will for sure feel my way and be careful.

Last edited:
First of all here are the links to Disassembly/Re-assembly Instructions.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Model66.html

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Second, You are so lucky being in Rhode Island. One of the best gunsmiths in the Country for Uberti Rifles is in Warwick. Stop by and pick up a set of his Whisper Springs for that gun (Brownells also carries them). They are used by Cowboy Shooters worldwide. It will be much improved.

http://thesmithshop.com/springkits.html

Thank you very much....I appreciate the info and the links.

Back
Top Bottom