Turkey in WMNF?

I'm very new to owning firearms and have never hunter in my life (just a longtime fisherman looking for some new outlets) and wild turkeys have caught my eye. Only problem is I don't know much where to start as far as hunting access is concerned. Obviously with fishing it's not that hard, but without prior knowledge of any turkey populations...except the ones that run around my condo, I don't really know where to start looking. Does anybody have any pointers? I'm not looking for complete a handout, just a general area where access isn't bad and there is some sort of a population. I obvioulsy still have to scout and eventually call the suckers in.

Thanks!

-Pemi

Hey Pemi,

First thing you should do is to get the 2007 hunting abstract. There's a ton of info in there, dates and times, which zones have two seasons, shot size, and so on. You can get them at just about anywhere, gun shops, Dicks, Walmart. You can even download it from the Mass wildlife web site. The web site also lists the WMA's in your area, you can scout around in the WMA's without having to worry about trespassing or anti's giving you a hard time.

-Kurt

Zone 10 has a lot of turkeys I would look around sudbury. I hunt there and always run into them.

Good luck Pemi. My husband went out for turkeys first time this year. He couldn't find any in the woods. Course, the parking lot at the bank is another story. [rolleyes] Another suggestion is ask at gun shops near you. Some of the hunters won't mind suggesting some spots for you to try.

Isn't it amazing where they show up...I have a bunch of them that walk by my porch on occasion...If I could only just sit there and call them in...lol...I'm sure the neighbors (or the local PD) wouldn't like that too much.

Back
Top Bottom