Turkey hunting for first time.. I need some pointers

I'll be getting my hunting license on the 12th & I want to go turkey hunting, but don't know where to go look for turkeys.

How long should I sit in a bush calling before giving up & finding another spot?

The best thing to do is to buy a book on it. There's way more to turkey hunting than can be explained here.

A book called Hunting the American Wild Turkey by Toby Bridges gives a great rundown.

Start by scouting areas that you've seen them in when driving around. Their always in farm fields around me, but I don't know what your area is like. Scout at sunset by using an owl call, or a turkey box call and yelping. Try to get a gobble at night, and set up pre-sunrise approx. 100 yards from where you heard the gobble the night before. Start calling, but just enough to coax a morning gobble, and sit tight. Try to call in the bird.

Make sure to pattern your shotgun before hunting. I like Winchester Supreme high velocity turkey loads using 2oz of #5 shot, but everyone has their favorite.

Turkeys are all over when you're driving and it seems like you could walk over and just pick one up. They're scarce, cagey, fast, and can see ANY movement when you're hunting them!

Last edited:
The best thing to do is to buy a book on it. There's way more to turkey hunting than can be explained here.

A book called Hunting the American Wild Turkey by Toby Bridges gives a great rundown.

Start by scouting areas that you've seen them in when driving around. Their always in farm fields around me, but I don't know what your area is like. Scout at sunset by using an owl call, or a turkey box call and yelping. Try to get a gobble at night, and set up pre-sunrise approx. 100 yards from where you heard the gobble the night before. Start calling, but just enough to coax a morning gobble, and sit tight. Try to call in the bird.

Make sure to pattern your shotgun before hunting. I like Winchester Supreme high velocity turkey loads using 2oz of #5 shot, but everyone has their favorite.

Turkeys are all over when you're driving and it seems like you could walk over and just pick one up. They're scarce, cagey, fast, and can see ANY movement when you're hunting them!

I haven't seen any lately. Was just curious to where in NH to go & was planning on shooting em with my M39

Shotgun or archery are all that are allowed in NH. Have you taken a hunters safety course yet? If you havent you are required to take one before you can get your hunting license.

Shotgun or archery are all that are allowed in NH. Have you taken a hunters safety course yet? If you havent you are required to take one before you can get your hunting license.

Of course I'm taking the hunter safety course, My field test is on the 12th. I wasn't aware of shotgun/archery only. I do know rifles aren't permitted at all in certain zones for anything at all, so was thinking I'd hunt up north. Oh well, guess I need to buy yet another gun. I don't have any shotguns, but suppose I need one.

Hmm.. what should I get, 10,12,16, or 20 gauge?
Maybe I should get an over/under combo.

Of course I'm taking the hunter safety course, My field test is on the 12th. I wasn't aware of shotgun/archery only. I do know rifles aren't permitted at all in certain zones for anything at all, so was thinking I'd hunt up north. Oh well, guess I need to buy yet another gun. I don't have any shotguns, but suppose I need one.

Hmm.. what should I get, 10,12,16, or 20 gauge?
Maybe I should get an over/under combo.

12 ga, full choke

12 gauge that will take 2.75", 3" and 3.5" shells is the most versatile in my opinion. You can buy 2.75" if you want to have a lighter load, but go up to 3.5" for turkeys and geese.

Most guns will come at least 3 chokes, if not, there are plenty of after market sets available for hte major brands: Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, Beretta, Browning, etc.

Back
Top Bottom