Turkey / Deer / HD Shotgun

After doing some searching in the forum I still don’t have my answer. So.. Here is my situation.

Im new to the firearms world, (just got licensed in November 08) and Im looking for a shotgun.

Uses: Turkey / Deer / HD (in a small apartment with narrow hallways)

I decided that I like the Remington 870 express pump, It just feels a lot better in hand than the Mossburg 500. My issue is with barrel lengths, rifleing and chokes.

I’d appreciate some info on chokes and barrel lengths, and if there are any options that would serve as a happy medium for two or all three of my needs.

Also the price of additional barrels surprised me, it almost seems worth it to buy more than one shotgun for different needs. I was thinking a hunting combo and then a strict HD gun maybe?

Thanks in advanced.

for deer, i like the rifled barrels.... mine is 24"

waterfowl, 22" field barrel

turkey, 22" barrel with xxfull accuchoke and fiber optic sights

i have three mossberg 500 guns- each set up differently-- i agree that barrels are expensive

remington has different configs in the specs on their site

you could just use a field barrel for all three if you want to save$$

For HD: 18" cylinder bore barrel

Deer: 24" rifled barrel

Turkey 23" barrel with screw-in choke tubes

The barrels run from $125 to $175 new. If you're patient, you can find better deals on used barrel.

The 870 express super mag combo is a good choice. It can accept 2.75/3/3.5" shells. Relatively inexpensive and a lot of versitilaity. I have that one plus a 20" or so cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights that I got separate (about $125). The combo will do for all your hunting needs. The only thing you want to get is a turkey choke (it's like a super full choke to keep your pattern small) you want a nice mellon/throat shot on a turkey, not a body shot. I believe it comes with a couple of chokes to get you started, can't remember for sure which ones. The 20" cylinder is the one that is on it while at home along with a bag of 00. To give you the short ansewers. There really isn't any gain by way of power after the first 14" of barrel. Shotguns aren't like rifles, longer barrels and all that. Maybe on the slug barrel but not all that much to sweat about. Some people like longer barrels to help with their leading (aiming in front of a moving target so that the target moves into the shot). It won't add anything to the shot. Chokes are just the screw in ends that goes in the end of your smooth bore barrel in order to close the pattern (spread) of your shot. The tighter your choke, the smaller your pattern (spread of pellets). You use a choke tube wrench to loosen and tighten them. It's self explanatory how to use one if you see it. Additional barrels go about $125 or so if the are permanently choked (no screw in end). One thing that's hardly every mentioned is choke lube. It's like a light grease that you put on your choke threads to keep them from seizing up on you. Just a bit will do it. I do have a 4th barrel that is the same as my HD but it has a removable choke system and it cost twice what the other did. No, go with the combo as it is a good deal, you will regret it later if you don't. I also have the 20 ga Rem 870 express mag combo. The only difference by the by between all the shotgun gauges and/or shotshell lengths in the same gauge is the payload (the amount of pellets or the size of the slug). Same thing weather its a standard (2 3/4"), mag (3") or supermag (3 1/2"). Bigger payload, same velocities. Bigger payload = more kick. Another thing. As you see, I've mentioned different lengths in shotshells for the same gauge. Don't measure an unfired shell and think that's what is meant by the length. It's the fired shell length with the little fold down flaps open that they are referring to. For instance, a Magnum will measure only 2.75 or so when unfired. 3" fired. You do not want to put this in a standard chamber (the barrels are stamped with the size chamber). A standard shotgun can only use 2.75" barrels. A magnum can use 2.75 & 3" barrels. And on a super Mag, you can mount a 2.75, 3, or 3.5 chamber barrel. Yes, you can use the smaller shotshells in the longer chamber barrels. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom