Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System

mac1911

NES Member
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=513887

Has anyone used these to condition the bore of some older barrels ?
I been reloading for my M1 Garand and since I have been shooting the Hornady bullets my bore looks cleaner and requires less patches after range trip.

Claims to help revitalize the throat a little by smoothing it out. Both my Garands seem to have very good barrels compared to others I have looked down.

the gun in question has a slighty frosted gritty look to the grooves. Am I wasteing my time ?

I have not used David's bullets but have used a NECO Fire Lapping kit with very good results. You are shooting lapping compound embedded into a bullet down the bore. It smooths things up but also moves the throat forward. More so with the coarser projectiles. You can also get a similar effect with an abrasive cleaner, but I think it takes a lot longer. The RemClean you can get a wallymart works very well. It has a non embedding abrasive. I'd probably start there if your barrel is a little grungy. Make sure to clean with a one piece rod and a tight fitting patch on a jag.

If you are normally shooting mil surplus ammo, your hand loads are probably a lot cleaner because there is no tar/sealant in the case necks.

Two cautions. If you use them in a gas gun, make sure to clean the gas system. You should also clean out the seating die after you load them.

B

Back
Top Bottom