Trying to pick a Danish Krag Jorgenson

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
One of these has been on my list for a while, not as a shooter per se, but a remembrance piece. My mother's father was Danish and served in their army from 1929-1933. I have narrowed my search to two likely candidates; one made in 1892, the other in 1916. I know little of these save their similarities with US versions and the different forward opening loading gate. Opinions from those in the know are appreciated.[thinking] The sources will remain anonymous.

Condition:

1892: bolt mismatch
1916: bolt mismatch

Finish:

1892: more patina than blue
1916: 15% blue, scuff marks as if roughly cleaned

Bores

1892: bore has good+ rifling with darker frosted grooves.
1916: bore has good+ rifling with darker grooves.

Stocks:

1892: duffel cut at lower band; probable bring back
1916: duffel cut at lower band; probable bring back

Issues:

1892: missing front guard screw; I have found one in Denmark
1916: stock looks shiny, like a lacquer finish
Both: duffel cut, but this will be an easy fix for me.

Cost:

1892: $695, offered $600; waiting
1916: $550

Opinion:

I'm leaning towards the 1892 for Antique status (4th year production) as it will mostly be a wall hanger as there is no commercial ammo available, although I have a friend who can make some with trimmed Russian 7.62x54r cases and standard German 196gr FMJ boat tails. They seem pretty evenly matched otherwise.

1892:

1916:

Thanks,
T

The 1892 screw head is broken off and the stub is inside the receiver - ouch. The price was lowered to $645. But gunsmithing charges and ordering a screw from Denmark makes this one an $800 rifle. Probably too much.

T

Last edited:
The 1892 screw head is broken off and the stub is inside the receiver - ouch. The price was lowered to $645. But gunsmithing charges and ordering a screw from Denmark makes this one an $800 rifle. Probably too much.

T

Rule of thumb "If a used firearm is missing a part, most likely it is because it is either an expensive part or no longer available."

I have fallen more than once for the "It's an easy fix!"

Still looking for an extractor for a Styre 95 after 4 years.

Disclaimer: I am no Krag expert.

I ****ing love Krags. If I had enough money I'd be every one I came across excluding sporters. Having said that the Danish/Norwegian Krags have less info available than the SA ones. On the KCA forum will be you best shot for getting solid advice.

A M95M (7.92 X 57), virtually impossible to find with an intact extractor (design defect).

I was lucky to get mine with all its parts.

Ah, same goes for the detachable magazine. I missed one on GB for $50 last year. I have seen 3 M95Ms at gun shows recently; none with the mag, but I didn't check for the extractor.

T

I'm pretty well set on the 1916 one; nice enough, relatively cheap, and I can fix the duffel cut.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom