Tried some CB Longs... help me understand something

Prepper

NES Member
I was using my Ruger 10/22, just at 25 yards. I got the scope sighted in properly so my "CCI Standard Velocity" 22's hit pretty accurately. I tried some CB Longs in it for the first time, and they consistently hit 2-3 inches below the previous grouping. But why? In both cases, I was placing the barrel on this pistol rest thingy to keep it steady, so I'm confident human error isn't a factor (even though I'm far from the greatest shot in the world).

I'd expect velocity to differ, but would that make a difference at 25 yards so that the cb long bullet would fall that much further in that short a distance?

CB longs are a subsonic round. Their charge is so low, you can shoot them without hearing protection, therefore, you should expect a much different POI at anything greater than 10yds, though if sighted in using those rounds, they are very accurate, and very consistent.

I was using my Ruger 10/22, just at 25 yards. I got the scope sighted in properly so my "CCI Standard Velocity" 22's hit pretty accurately. I tried some CB Longs in it for the first time, and they consistently hit 2-3 inches below the previous grouping. But why? In both cases, I was placing the barrel on this pistol rest thingy to keep it steady, so I'm confident human error isn't a factor (even though I'm far from the greatest shot in the world).

I'd expect velocity to differ, but would that make a difference at 25 yards so that the cb long bullet would fall that much further in that short a distance?[/QUOTE]

Yes it would. And if you tried a CB Cap or short, you'd notice even more drop at the same distance.

OK good, so they're supposed to do that.

I tried a few without the hearing protection just to see how loud they really are. Yup, it's possible to do; my ears are still fine. Although, they still made enough of a loud snap sound that I think it'd draw the attention of nearby people. A fairer sound test would probably be to have someone else fire it while I stand a couple hundred feet away... I'll try that sometime.

Prepper do they cycle the action of the 10/22 okay? I have been wanting to try them but have always thought that the CB rounds were too weak to do so.

Thunderbolt

Nope, they don't cycle the action. After you shoot, pull bolt back and release. You're good to go for the next shot.

CB Longs are pretty mean out of my CZ bolt action. They're quite consistent and actually make less noise than my 1000fps Gamo pellet gun in .177. The 22 is more of a snap sound where as the pellet gun is a louder thump. It's a shame the CBs are so expensive for what they are. I bought a 100 pack at a gun shop near by (hate the place) and they were 8 bucks after tax! Boo.

CB Longs are pretty mean out of my CZ bolt action. They're quite consistent and actually make less noise than my 1000fps Gamo pellet gun in .177. The 22 is more of a snap sound where as the pellet gun is a louder thump. It's a shame the CBs are so expensive for what they are. I bought a 100 pack at a gun shop near by (hate the place) and they were 8 bucks after tax! Boo.

I counsel against shooting .22 Short or .22 Long in any firearm chambered for .22 Long Rifle. At a minimum you will build up combustion products in the forward-most portion of the chamber, which will make it difficult to chamber .22 LR later on. You also run some risk of eroding the forward edge of the chamber.

I counsel against shooting .22 Short or .22 Long in any firearm chambered for .22 Long Rifle. At a minimum you will build up combustion products in the forward-most portion of the chamber, which will make it difficult to chamber .22 LR later on. You also run some risk of eroding the forward edge of the chamber.

I can understand how this could happen with the .22 Short, but I thought .22 Long used the same case as .22 Long Rifle. ?

I can understand how this could happen with the .22 Short, but I thought .22 Long used the same case as .22 Long Rifle. ?

22 Long and 22 LR are indeed the same case length. The only difference that I can see is the powder charge and the weight of the bullet itself.

Combustion product build up making it harder to chamber 22LR? Can't I just clean my rifle the way I normally would before shooting 22LR again? I'm not sure I follow your logic here.

Combustion product build up making it harder to chamber 22LR? Can't I just clean my rifle the way I normally would before shooting 22LR again? I'm not sure I follow your logic here.

I think RKG was referring to the difficult-to-remove deposit that can build up when a shorter case is fired in a longer chamber. This problem is pretty well documented in the case of, for example, firing a .38 Special in a .357 Mag chamber and I personally have several friends who have had difficulty chambering .357s after firing many .38s. It can eventually be cleaned out, but requires a bit of work. I'd never actually heard of it happening with .22s, and don't know anyone who's fired lots of .22 shorts in a .22 long rifle chamber, but I suppose it's possible.

I see what you're getting at. I could definitely see the problem if one were shooting shorts in a gun chambered for LR. But where the case length is the same on 22 and 22LR I guess this is a moot point. Good info, though. Thanks.

OK good, so they're supposed to do that.

I tried a few without the hearing protection just to see how loud they really are. Yup, it's possible to do; my ears are still fine. Although, they still made enough of a loud snap sound that I think it'd draw the attention of nearby people. A fairer sound test would probably be to have someone else fire it while I stand a couple hundred feet away... I'll try that sometime.

The irony is with CB longs out of a rifle is that most of the
"snap" your hearing is from the bullet hitting the paper or whatever
the target is. I noticed if I fired them just into the dirt berm you
can't hear much of anything.

-Mike

Back in the day my family used to shoot CBs in the basement without hearing protection. They're definitely very different from your standard .22lr.

The irony is with CB longs out of a rifle is that most of the
"snap" your hearing is from the bullet hitting the paper or whatever
the target is. I noticed if I fired them just into the dirt berm you
can't hear much of anything.

-Mike

I was firing at 75 feet... wouldn't there be a slight (1/4 second) noticeable delay between the sound of the firing and the sound of the hitting the target? I'll fire into the dirt next time just to be sure.

These CB Longs are quite a bit louder than my air rifle, although that air rifle isn't all that powerful... maybe 500fps? (And it's a pump action, not spring, so it's pretty quiet... most of it's noise comes from hitting the plastic bottle or whatever else I'm shooting.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom