Trap shooting

I'm interested in trying this out but I'm lacking a critical component - a shotgun. How does one go about getting into this before committing to getting a shotgun. I know they're short money, but since I've never actually shot one before, I was kinda thinkin try before you buy. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Any sportsman's club that offers trap should have club guns to use / try or even some members may let you try it with theirs. My club members have always been very helpful with new shooters by giving them pointers and not making fun of someone with little experience. That is the biggest concern of anyone, including myself when starting out, "will I embarass myself?" Unless you are shooting with real snobs, I can't imagine anyone not being helpful. Where ever you belong or plan to shoot...go there, talk to whoever runs the show or a range officer. They will give you direction.

If you want to trek all the way to the South Shore I'd be happy to run you through the whole deal.

But as others have said, go make friends with your local trap shooters, I'm sure you'll find some nice folk that will hook you up.

Westford Sportsmen's (which can't be far if you're in Chelmsford) has open-to-the-public trap on Sunday afternoons, and any place I've ever shot trap has had either official or unofficial loaner gear available. I think, but am not sure, that the Wednesday evening trap at Mass Rifle is also open to the public.

http://www.westfordsportsmensclub.org/?T=Trap
http://www.massrifle.com/

Warning: it's really fun, and kind of addictive.

Jose mentioned the 870...I'm actually really thinking about picking one of those up this summer...but I feel like I'd be really out of place with a black shotgun at the T&S field..

I don't mind wooden furniture, but if I were going to pick up an 870, I can't imagine not getting the synthetic...but at the same time, it'd be nice to not have to deal with "Dumbass college student acting tacitcool" stereotypes..I simply can't afford to buy a more "traditional" T&S gun.

Last edited:
Jose mentioned the 870...I'm actually really thinking about picking one of those up this summer...but I feel like I'd be really out of place with a black shotgun at the T&S skeet field..

I don't mind wooden furniture, but if I were going to pick up an 870, I can't imagine not getting the synthetic...but at the same time, it'd be nice to not have to deal with "Dumbass college student acting tacitcool" stereotypes..I simply can't afford to buy a more "traditional" T&S gun.

If you are thinking this way, the fudds have won already.

Buy what you like. There may be a few a**h***s around, then again there may not be any. What I assure you there will be are shooters who will welcome you to the sport, not GAF about what kind of gun you have, and give you plenty of help to get started.

I started in skeet ten years ago with an all black Mossberg 9200 duck gun. If anyone was laughing they soon weren't when the cleans and 24s started coming in.

Shooting well is the best revenge.

I've shot trap at Pelham with a black synthetic stock gun and no one had a comment. I got it used for $110. You can usually find a beat up old bird gun for around $100 and get started with that. Hell I bought a single shot Stevens 12ga off this forum for $20 and two boxes of 7.62x54r. Find a cheap old pump, bolt action, or single shot and try it out. If you don't like it just sell the thing.

do you have anything fun to shoot? (it doesn't matter, but I thought it would add some "fun" on my side too)

Let me know when you want to go and I'll lend you a gun. Assuming you have a LTC, I'll let you choose between a few different 12g.

Borrow it for a week, return it clean (and please don't commit any crimes with it). Let me know if you're interested

Get out there and try it. Then once you know that you like it start to look for a gun.

If you decide trap is your game then you will want a trap gun.

If you decide trap doubles,skeet and sporting clays are more to your liking then a BT-99 trap gun is not going to help as it holds only one shot. Like wise while and 870 may be good for trap, pumping a second round in the chamber takes time and the bird is moving. That is not to say it can not be done but just adds one more thing to focus on when shooting.

Once you start shooting you will also find that gun fit is important (perhaps the most important thing). You do not aim a shotgun you point it. If the gun does not fit then it will not point where you are looking and you will not hit clays.

If you really like it then investing in a good gun rather than a cheap one may be to your advantage as well (ask me about what I think about my POS Mossberg SR some time you will get an ear full).

Trap is offered Wed night at Mass Rifle and open to non-members for 8$ per round (25 shots) there are club 12 and 20 ga. Steel shot is purchased at the club.

There is also sporting clays on Sun AM but please attend the Wed night first as it give RSOs a chance to check you out and get familiar with you and your level of experience prior to a Sun AM.

The only thing you really need to bring is a sense of humor. The rest can be acquired at the club if need be.

Just this past weekend the Pelham fish and game held an intro to trap shooting clinic. I attended, having never fired a shotgun before, and it was a great experience. The clinic was totally free and the club provided instruction, guns, ammo, and lunch!

Check out the Pelham fish and game website Http://www.pelhamfishandgame.com/

you can email the trap people [email protected] (I think) and see if they are going to do another clinic any time soon.
I can't wait to get myself a shotgun and go again, it is really a fun sport.

I love shooting trap with my 870. It happens to be black with the knoxx recoil reducing stock. The pump is not a disadvantage, it's actually helpful I think. We sometimes do strings of five, the guy just holds the button down on the trap machine, and you load your shotgun with five shells, and just shoot them as they come out. Totally do-able with a pump, and it's really fun.

Jose mentioned the 870...I'm actually really thinking about picking one of those up this summer...but I feel like I'd be really out of place with a black shotgun at the T&S skeet field..

Dont be scared to go to a trap field because you dont have a "traditional" Trap gun. On Sunday afternoon at my club there are guys with $8,000 Ljutics shooting next to guys with $200 Mossbergs. There are works of art on the shooting line right next to synthetic stocked camoflauged turkey guns. Hell, I even saw a guy show up once with an old beater Remington 1100 that was so covered with rust he literally wiped it down with steel wool prior to shooting....he went 97/100 while a guy with a $2500 Browning shot 70/100. People on the trap fields are super friendly and are aching to get people involved....just show up and have some fun!!!

Trap shooting is an excellent way to get teenagers involved in shooting sports! They have all seen celebrities on TV doing it, and they really enjoy it, especially if there are 2 of them competing.

And compared to handgun shooting, it is a lot easier for a newbie to pick up and start doing fairly well at.

And trap shooters are a pretty friendly bunch.

Back
Top Bottom