• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer to Mass Dealer ?

A friend of mine sold a shotgun to a brick and mortar shop in Mass but never got any paperwork stating that the gun was sold to the store. He went back and the dealer told him "we don't do that" ie: give receipts or FA10's when they buy the gun. That sounds extremely fishy to me and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

I would never sell a firearm to a store without getting a receipt showing which store bought it and documenting the make, model, and serial number.

A friend of mine sold a shotgun to a brick and mortar shop in Mass but never got any paperwork stating that the gun was sold to the store. He went back and the dealer told him "we don't do that" ie: give receipts or FA10's when they buy the gun. That sounds extremely fishy to me and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

If there is ever anything wrong with the gun, like it was used in a crime, etc, all he needs to say is that is who he sold it to. They are required to hold on to that information (and when they go out of business, the ATF takes custody of those records) and the LEOs would be able to get it. Also, once the shotgun is sold, then there is a new record of sale that post dates his possession of it (I have had this situation on something I returned to a FFL which was subsequently purchased by someone I know) so he is covered at that point. They should have given him some form of a receipt simply as a good business practice though they are not required to.

I trust you, but cut the cards.
I'm sure that most shop owners and employees are fine honest people, but if you went into someplace and Joe Smith the part time employee decided to buy the gun with no receipt to you, and you got paid in cash, and then he black markets the gun to some gang banger, and it turns up under a body..... that would be worst case scenario and if you were the first purchaser of the gun it's easy to find you, If you bought it used it may take a bit longer but eventually chances are someone is going to flash a badge and ask you some questions. You'd really want to be able to prove where it went at that point rather than try to convince a jury you had nothing to do with the crime or anything to do with the gun being there.

By MA law, they are not required to give any paperwork to you when you sell a gun to an FFL.

Personally, I would never leave a dealer after selling one of my guns without a written bill of sale to cover my ass. On that piece of paper would state the sale of said firearm, serial numbers, signatures, names, dates. All pertinent information.

I worked many years in a well established gun store and we never provided receipts or any form of paperwork when purchasing a firearm. I know of few places that actually do.

It would seem to be a good and logical practice that would be of minimal time and expense..... which is probably why no one does it....[laugh]

The worse scenario is that you sell a gun that you have registered with the state to a dealer in Mass. The dealer sells it out of state. Massachusetts will still show that gun registered to you.

The FFL is not required to give you any paperwork, no FA10 or MERC's or 4473 is even done. The FFL is required to enter the transaction into the bound book.
The FFL dealer however should give you a transaction recept as a mater of business although it is not required. If I were you I would ask the dealer for some sort of recept for your records.

Back
Top Bottom