Training for LTC

I have read that you take a Mass. certified firearms safety course or a BASIC HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE before filing for your LTC.

I have a Basic Hunters Safety Course certificate from Maine Fish and Widlife from the late 80's; will this meet the requirements here in Mass?

Thanks
Todd

Unless that course was taught by a Mass State Police certified instructor, and you have the certificate from them specifying this, the course won't count. I'm pretty sure there weren't Mass State Police certified instructors back then, at least for the purposes of licensing.

The MA state police have 21 approved training programs and an instructor must be certified through the MA state police for it to count. Some count for LTC and some for FID only. Also, I believe the training has to have been done after 1998 to count.

The MA state police have 21 approved training programs and an instructor must be certified through the MA state police for it to count. Some count for LTC and some for FID only. Also, I believe the training has to have been done after 1998 to count.

Almost correct.

The MA Hunters Safety course is also recognized and those trainers are certified by Mass. Division of Fisheries & Wildlife and not the MA SP.

WARNING: Some chiefs are reluctant to accept these certificates for LTC, even though MGL/CMRs specifically states in black and white that this is an accepted course.

I have no clue if non-MA Hunter Ed certs can be used to get a MA Hunting License. That's a question beyond my area of expertise and interest.

Almost correct.

The MA Hunters Safety course is also recognized and those trainers are certified by Mass. Division of Fisheries & Wildlife and not the MA SP.

WARNING: Some chiefs are reluctant to accept these certificates for LTC, even though MGL/CMRs specifically states in black and white that this is an accepted course.

I have no clue if non-MA Hunter Ed certs can be used to get a MA Hunting License. That's a question beyond my area of expertise and interest.

Thanks for the correction Len [grin]

Not to mention the Cert might to old according to the CLEO as well. I have had students call me two years after the course date, saying they never got a chance to to apply right after the class, went down to the PD and the chief told them that the certs are only good within a year of the date the cert was issued. I called those CLEO's and they said that that was they're terms. So I basically had them show me they remembered the handing off and checking the chamber safely, loading and unloading and the basic funds. Once they took the 50 question test and passed, I reissued them a new cert free of charge.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom