Took DIL to range today

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Actually, my wife, daughterinlaw and 2 grandkids.

My wife has her license and goes quite often with me, my 9 yo granddaughter has been shooting with me for 4 years, and my 17 yo granddaughter has been shooting with me since she was 8. All have their own rifles and revolvers. Both kids would easily qualify for a license if kids were able to get them. They are excellent shooters and exhibit exceptionally safe habits.

This is the first time my DIL has even held a gun.

She's been asking me for a while to take her but things have just got in the way but today we made it.

As she was driving to my house the kids were drilling her on the 4 safety rules!

I brought a variety of 22's, the kids' Henry's, and their High Standard 9 shooters, a DW revolver, my Marlin 39a and my SW model 17.

Since DIL had never held a gun, we started her with the Marlin. I set up a shoot and see at 50 feet and explained how to get sight alignment. She was all over the place and was getting frustrated. She couldn't get the proper sight picture and it was hard to see where she was hitting as she couldn't hit the 6 inch shoot and see target. I took the gun and said let me see if the sights were put of kilter.

I got my only shot dead center in the bullseye so I know they were ok. [smile]

She was getting frustrated.

So I moved her over to where we had some coke bottles on the front of the 50 ft berm. When she missed at least she could see the dirt fly and tell where she was hitting. That did it ! Soon she was bouncing bottles all over the place, with a big smile !

Then she went back to the target and was getting every shot on the target with many 10 rings. Big smiles !!!

Wife was hitting the 10 ring with the 4 rich Dan Wesson, regularly. Then I looked over and she was shooting her .32 snubby, which I didn't know she brought. She shot a series of holes right around the 6 inch shoot and see, which with a 2 inch barrel, I thought was pretty good at 50 feet. I know she could protect herself and hit her man if she needed to.

The kids were shooting at bottles, a metal flip up target and shoot and sees and were having a great time.

17 yo was shooting bottles on the 50 yd berm off hand with her revolver and hitting them respectably often!

We went thru about 750 rounds of 22lr, and the 5 of us had a great time. DIL said she didn't realize how much fun it would be.

We all went to BK afterwards and DIL said she was very pleased at how safe and well behaved the kids were. She never had a problem with me taking them but now she sees there is nothing to worry about. The kids are safe, happy and learning a good skill.

DIL wants to go again. Another one gets gunpowder in her blood !

I can't wait until the her 4 yo is ready. Then she can have her mother and sisters show her how to shoot.

Last edited:
That is a great day. Nice to have the family involved like that. I'm a bit jealous though. I wish my wife and kids had an interest. You are a lucky guy. Looks like you better lay in a good ammo supply.

some pics

amanda1.jpg

emily1.jpg

both.jpg

meggan.jpg

amandadefense.jpg

fire.jpg

Back
Top Bottom