Tinnitus

One of the guys here went and goes and gets some special massage therapy and acupuncture specifically aimed at treating the tinnitus. He said it tones it down massively when it's flaring up and he's getting headaches and shit.

I couldn’t put my finger on the exact sound but Greg said it perfectly with reeeeeeeeeee

I have to sleep with noise, otherwise the "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" dominates my thoughts.. It is 4 hours of Eric The Midget from Stern... Something about his voice drowns out the sound and allows me to fall asleep. Ya wanna see me panic is when YouTube decides to purge all of those ETM videos due to copyright violations.. They get put back pretty fast because apparently I am not the only person that falls asleep to that ETM audio lol

I just keep a small fan on my nightstand. It makes enough white noise to block out the "reeeeeeee" sound and lets me sleep in peace. Over the years I've come to really enjoy the breeze on my face when I sleep as well.

24/7 here. Rated for it from the VA.

It does get worse after physical activity(example now after splitting wood for the last 3 hours).

Spent over 28 years as an artilleryman. For at least 24 of those I have been around 105s & 155s fring anywhere from 2K to >10K rounds a year. This is in addition to all the other fun noisy stuff I've been treated to. Documented hearing loss while in, hearing loss evident during the C&P...

Hearing Loss.jpg

It does get worse after physical activity(example now after splitting wood for the last 3 hours).

Spent over 28 years as an artilleryman. For at least 24 of those I have been around 105s & 155s fring anywhere from 2K to >10K rounds a year. This is in addition to all the other fun noisy stuff I've been treated to. Documented hearing loss while in, hearing loss evident during the C&P...

View attachment 573991
And knowing them, they probably had the gall to mention in the paperwork that it started while you were in the service. Doing things that would cause it. Obviously not connected.
VA jackasses.png

I just got an update on one of mine. Not tinnitus but same exemplary logic from the VA. That my multi-symptom respiratory condition started in service and is related to the burn pits and other stuff I breathed in, in Iraq. But not service connected.

My tinnitus is rather annoying, My physical therapist told me there are hearing aids which can be adjusted for frequency to "tune out" or at least mask the tinnitus and I saw an audiologist (recommended by primary MD) who did confirm a moderate hearing loss and said there's no such hearing aid as the PT described. She did try to sell me hearing aids though. Cost was over 5K. (Not covered by insurance or Medicade) Each. I believe I'm being sold a bill of goods on this (I'll stop short of calling it a scam) As long as someone's facing me when talking I'm fine.

Does such a tune-able or masking device even exist ? I have difficulty believing the cost is not covered by insurance. Not covered by medicaid ? Wouldn't surprise me.

I have heard there are devices that can help mask tinnitus but this isn't an option for me since the hearing loss on my right side is almost complete.

It is true that hearing devices are generally not covered by private insurance companies. Generally it's more likely that older people need hearing aids and they tend to be expensive and have to be replaced every five years or so. The insurance companies don't feel they can offset that liability sufficiently across all their pool of insured so they don't offer the coverage. About 20 states require insurance companies to cover hearing aides for children and only 5 states require insurance providers cover it for adults, including NH, I think, but not Massachusetts.

Prices can vary alot on hearing aides. Smaller audiology offices generally charge higher prices. They also generally offer a wider variety of brand options. Larger groups like Mass Eye & Ear can offer hearing aides for slightly for less. They fit tons of hearing aids so are able to negotiate a better price, Though the trade off is they maybe don't offer as big a variety of brands to choose from. I paid $1800 for one full hearing aid and 1 Cros unit from Oticon through MEEI. I was suprised that it was that cheap as I was expecting it to be a lot higher based on what I had heard sbout the cost of hearing aides. As other's have mentioned, Costco is also an option for cheaper hearing aides; I would assume they also have a more limited range of brands they deal with but don't now that for sure.

I have heard there are devices that can help mask tinnitus but this isn't an option for me since the hearing loss on my right side is almost complete.

It is true that hearing devices are generally not covered by private insurance companies. Generally it's more likely that older people need hearing aids and they tend to be expensive and have to be replaced every five years or so. The insurance companies don't feel they can offset that liability sufficiently across all their pool of insured so they don't offer the coverage. About 20 states require insurance companies to cover hearing aides for children and only 5 states require insurance providers cover it for adults, including NH, I think, but not Massachusetts.

Prices can vary alot on hearing aides. Smaller audiology offices generally charge higher prices. They also generally offer a wider variety of brand options. Larger groups like Mass Eye & Ear can offer hearing aides for slightly for less. They fit tons of hearing aids so are able to negotiate a better price, Though the trade off is they maybe don't offer as big a variety of brands to choose from. I paid $1800 for one full hearing aid and 1 Cros unit from Oticon through MEEI. I was suprised that it was that cheap as I was expecting it to be a lot higher based on what I had heard sbout the cost of hearing aides. As other's have mentioned, Costco is also an option for cheaper hearing aides; I would assume they also have a more limited range of brands they deal with but don't now that for sure.
I'm in NH now (was MA) with a MA Medicare Supplemental Insurance plan and it does not cover hearing aides. Nor does my NH Medicare Rx plan.

My first hearing aid came from a local one-man shop (he's also a professor at Harvard Medical School) and cost me ~$900. back probably 15-17 yrs ago (1 ear only). Brand was Resound.

When I graduated to needing 2 hearing aids, after doing some checking, I went with Costco-Dedham and the cost was ~$2K, that was probably 10 yrs ago. The brand was Resound.

My most recent set of hearing aids, also from Costco back in 2017 cost me ~$2500., but use a rechargeable battery. Now I see ~3 brands being offered at Costco with prices starting ~$1.5K IIRC for a pair.

I don't see a need for 100 different brands. Resound is a reputable brand sold by all the big and small guys.

Here are two hearing aid forums for researching more info on specific products/sources.

View attachment 573991
JHC ! What the hell is wrong with the VA ? I've heard from a number of sources that the C&P medical examiners are outsourced by non-VA contractors and they couldn't tell a copy of 'Title 38, USC', from a 'J' frame .38.

'Muffinhead' and crew are punishing Veterans for not supporting the 'Woke. movement.'

One of the guys here went and goes and gets some special massage therapy and acupuncture specifically aimed at treating the tinnitus. He said it tones it down massively when it's flaring up and he's getting headaches and shit.

I have been doing this for a while as well. I get acupuncture every couple of weeks and my chiropractor does an Intra-Oral (inside the mouth) and TMJ massage ... yes, it hurts. It helps, it seems to calm down the noise and stress. It works pretty well for me but it didn't for my brother 🤷‍♂️. My hearing is normal for my age group buy I did do a lot of shooting at indoor ranges over the years. It also gets worse when the atmospheric pressure changes rapidly... I always know when a major storm is coming.

JHC ! What the hell is wrong with the VA ? I've heard from a number of sources that the C&P medical examiners are outsourced by non-VA contractors and they couldn't tell a copy of 'Title 38, USC', from a 'J' frame .38.
Yes, C&Ps are handled by contracted companies. If I recall correctly, they are QTC, VES, and LHI.

These companies simply complete the C&P and send the information to the VA who compares C&P findings with records on hand and makes decisions based on 38cfr.

Occasional mistakes are made, such as my case where it should have been service connected, but at a 0% since I while my hearing has degraded due to many service inflicted events, it is not yet ratable. If I wasn't happy with my overall rating, I would appeal the finding and likely be successful.

Currently every SM getting out of the military has the advantage of the Benefits Delivery on Discharge program. VBA actually listened to a lot of gripes and streamlined things.

Mine is constant, but every now and then it will get super loud in one or both ears with seemingly no reason for doing so. Honestly, it would bother me more if it went away. I'm so used to it being there I'd probably freak out if I suddenly couldn't hear it anymore.

Mine is constant, but every now and then it will get super loud in one or both ears with seemingly no reason for doing so. Honestly, it would bother me more if it went away. I'm so used to it being there I'd probably freak out if I suddenly couldn't hear it anymore.
I haven't figured out any firm pattern with mine either. People say certain foods, or coffee makes it worse, but I haven't noticed that. It does seem to get louder after I eat for whatever reason. I think maybe the working of my jaws sets it off but not 100% sure about that. Generally the quieter it is around me the less intense the tinnitus is. If I am around certain kinds of noise it gets really loud.

My most recent set of hearing aids, also from Costco back in 2017 cost me ~$2500., but use a rechargeable battery. Now I see ~3 brands being offered at Costco with prices starting ~$1.5K IIRC for a pair.

I don't see a need for 100 different brands. Resound is a reputable brand sold by all the big and small guys.

I only need one but sounds like if I had two full hearing aides they would have be in that 2.5K range based on what I paid. The hardware cost for the hearing aide and CROS unit together was $1,300. I don't know how much of that was the CROS unit but I am guessing the hearing aide itself was 900-1k. The Oticon hearing aide I got is also rechargeable which is really convenient though the CROS unit was only available in replaceable battery version so that's a bit of a PIA.

I agree about the options. One or two good options are plenty though some people might have a preference of different ones as some are better at some things than others. I had Phonak as an option as well. Don't remember if they offered Resound but I have heard good things about that brand as well.

I haven't figured out any firm pattern with mine either. People say certain foods, or coffee makes it worse, but I haven't noticed that. It does seem to get louder after I eat for whatever reason. I think maybe the working of my jaws sets it off but not 100% sure about that. Generally the quieter it is around me the less intense the tinnitus is. If I am around certain kinds of noise it gets really loud.

I only need one but sounds like if I had two full hearing aides they would have be in that 2.5K range based on what I paid. The hardware cost for the hearing aide and CROS unit together was $1,300. I don't know how much of that was the CROS unit but I am guessing the hearing aide itself was 900-1k. The Oticon hearing aide I got is also rechargeable which is really convenient though the CROS unit was only available in replaceable battery version so that's a bit of a PIA.

I agree about the options. One or two good options are plenty though some people might have a preference of different ones as some are better at some things than others. I had Phonak as an option as well. Don't remember if they offered Resound but I have heard good things about that brand as well.
Here's more specific info on the Costco offerings. Apparently Jabra GN is Resound GN (I don't know who bought whom). Other brands: Rexton, Phonak, Philips, and Kirkland (house brand).

Pre-Covid, they checked the cones and replaced them every 3-6 months, complete checkup (equipment) and hearing test annually, all at no additional charge. I had one repair (older model-battery door wouldn't stay shut) after owning it for 2 or 3 years, they sent it to the factory for replacement of the hinged door, again no charge. The HIS at Dedham did a much better explanation of my hearing loss and cause (age, heridity) than I ever got from the PhD professor I went to prior to Costco.

Here's more specific info on the Costco offerings. Apparently Jabra GN is Resound GN (I don't know who bought whom). Other brands: Rexton, Phonak, Philips, and Kirkland (house brand).

Pre-Covid, they checked the cones and replaced them every 3-6 months, complete checkup (equipment) and hearing test annually, all at no additional charge. I had one repair (older model-battery door wouldn't stay shut) after owning it for 2 or 3 years, they sent it to the factory for replacement of the hinged door, again no charge. The HIS at Dedham did a much better explanation of my hearing loss and cause (age, heridity) than I ever got from the PhD professor I went to prior to Costco.

Thank you! I will def. check out Costco for my next one. I am only a year into using the Oticon. I am due to go in for a followup. They recommended bringing the hearing aid in after a year for service even if there are no issues, apparently they clean it and give it a once over and it's covered under the warranty. I could have done my hearing aid fitting in network through the medical group I go to but I paid a little out of pocket to go to Mass Eye & Ear because my cousin used to be an audiologist there before she retired to raise her son and she recommended an audiologist for me to see who she felt strongly would give me a good experience.

I was unlucky to have lost my hearing during the first few months of Covid when my medical group shut down half of their offices. So I had to drive down from Groveland to see an ENT doctor in Hingham. Did not care for that office or the doctor as he was aloof and didn't explain shit. Said It could have been caused by Covid but they wouldn't test me for it and I had no symptoms, so who knows. As soon as the Burlington office re-opened I switched to an ENT doctor there and had a much better experience there as far as explanations and a better feeling of support etc. So yeah, there can be a lot of variation in care depending on where you go.

I've had tinnitus since I worked on flightdecks and around loud aircraft when I was in the navy in the 70's...I usually hear what sounds like chirping in my ears or mouse squeaks...sometimes it sounds like a loud sound system feedback. I have to have something playing continuously near my head when I'm trying sleep. My wife's snoring is too random...LOL.

Severe hearing loss hear. With a slice a REEEEEEEEEEEE. I tried the hearing aids with the program to help the ringing. It basically sounds like windchimes. Then, I started to hear windchimes when not wearing the hearing aids. So, I stopped wearing them. I like how you can get a 10% rating from VA. But, doesn't count toward anything....

Working around B-52's. Fun stuff.

Mine got much louder a couple weeks ago. It doesn’t bother me, but it’s odd that I just noticed this.

As for the VA: I finally got convinced to put in for disability. What a joke. Drove three hours to their doctor, got 10%, paid $140 twice and then nothing. I stand by my original assessment: worse than useless.
Tuna,
I'm working on a VN Vet's case now, who I know personally, a 25th Div 'cannon cocker' in the 'Iron Triangle' 68. He has 30% for hearing loss and 10% for tinnitus. He just got his his claim APPROVED for TYPE II diabetes 30%.

In the last week I talked to my CE 'Gun' mate and he said it's vicious for him. I chatted with another CE from my unit today who I knew in slicks and he said it ,24-7, as I have. The interesting thing I noted was that cannon cocker was only rated 10% but he said his would go away after a few days. Go figure. Did you appeal ? Tinnitus is overwhelming, I do a work around by falling asleep to the sounds of Star Trek or Dr Who, content doesn't matter.....lol

Last edited:
For the record, I am still receiving the $140, I just overlooked the deposits when I typed that. There’s enough crap about the VA I don’t need to lie. Lol

I didn’t appeal. It doesn’t overwhelm me. The loss itself sometimes makes me miss what I can’t hear, but mostly it’s ok, but it has gotten louder.

For the record, I am still receiving the $140, I just overlooked the deposits when I typed that. There’s enough crap about the VA I don’t need to lie. Lol

I didn’t appeal. It doesn’t overwhelm me. The loss itself sometimes makes me miss what I can’t hear, but mostly it’s ok, but it has gotten louder.
No worries Tuna,
But you might find yourself down the road, double thinking that decision. If your appeal ran out, it's an uphill climb. But you made a decision and I respect that....

Every time mine goes off, I get annoyed and quip out loud to thank it for it's annoying service in making me a bit nutty. Almost as annoying as what I can only describe to as symphony music that I'm hearing when in a car with the AC on with no radio. They think it's because of my documented TBI. The same TBI that gives me short term memory loss and makes me slur like a drunk despite having not touched alcohol for years.

Back
Top Bottom