Time for the WAIT! WA CPL

So I applied for my WA CPL yesterday. They said expect it to take 30 days to receive it.

I told the woman taking down my information about the use of discretion in MA and she was floored over the, "obnoxious violation of natural rights." To borrow a quote from her. Here in WA, shall issue.

So the WA license isn't required to own, but is required to conceal carry, unless you are going camping/hiking/hunting/fishing. It also removes the week long wait for buying a new gun, and lets you keep a loaded pistol in a vehicle. $52.50 for 5 years, or $10.50 a year. Not bad.

Let's see if it is 30 days.

On day 30, I got my CCW in the mail when I applied in WA.

And that was through King County. AKA Seattle court house

You mean you didn't have to FB friend the chief, and get an exorcism to get a license out there? :rolleyes: Nice.

You mean you didn't have to FB friend the chief, and get an exorcism to get a license out there? :rolleyes: Nice.

Nope, no handies for the chief to get better than a B. ;) She thought I was bs'ing her when I started explaining the MA system. At one point she just shrugged and said, things must be scary out east. Heh. I think out here people just don't really understand the shit you guys deal with unless they experience it first hand.

Inferno - 30 days on the dot! That will be good, I'm sure they're more gun friendly out here. Now to do my C&R

Here in WA, shall issue.

Check the wording of the law and you may find that it's not shall issue by the letter of the law, but shall issue in practice. A LOT of states are like that and as we are seeing in NH, there is an effort to resurrect the discretion in some areas.

Similar down here in Oregon. They have 30 days, I got a call on day 3 to come do new prints as some of them weren't good enough, and had it in my mail somewhere between day 5 and 7.

Their only hesitation was that I had only been a resident of OR for a week or two, so I had to drive 3 minutes down the road back to work to grab a copy of my orders to show them. Ten or fifteen minutes later, the application process was done (except the minor hiccup with the fingerprints). At least 5 minutes of that was idle chitchat about the best carry pieces and the cheapest places in town to get ammo, best places to shoot ("up in the woods").

Check the wording of the law and you may find that it's not shall issue by the letter of the law, but shall issue in practice. A LOT of states are like that and as we are seeing in NH, there is an effort to resurrect the discretion in some areas.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

RCW 9.41.070

Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied, unless:

(a) He or she is ineligible to possess a firearm under the provisions of RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045, or is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law;

(b) The applicant's concealed pistol license is in a revoked status;

(c) He or she is under twenty-one years of age;

Theres more to it, but you get the point. Shall issue.

SOrry I missed that discussion, I probably couldn't have added much of value though, since I'm not up on the legal aspects of WA's carrying.

Got my license in the mail today. A little longer than 30 days, but it's here and good for 5 years. :)

Got mine in Skagit County..I applied and it was already in my mailbox when I got home...turn around was about 2 weeks and the application process took all of 3 minutes

application process took a while longer here, the paperwork took a few. Then I had to get printed, that was it. It wouldn't surprise me if the holidays screwed everything up.

Back
Top Bottom