Thoughts on these retailers... thinking about a road trip

So I have read about Rileys up in NH - never been. From what I have read they have a decent supply of ammunition. Problem is it is over an hour and half drive from where I am in MA. I do buy a lot of ammunition form Four Seasons in Woburn - they are "only" 50 minutes from me and always have a decent supply although prices are creeping up.

I have some vacation time coming up and wanted to drive up to Rileys to check them out. Anyone have any experience with both shops and able/willing to compare ammunition inventories and pricing? Looking at case quantities. Is it worth the trip to Rileys? I would like to go up there just to be able to say I have visited what seems to be an iconic firearms shop.

Wallyworld pricing is ok but they have horrible inventory problems ie: - it's hit or miss whether they have anything in inventory. Shorter drive though.

Thanks in advance for any info.

If you're driving that far it might be good to call and ask about the ammo you're looking for. It is a good gun shop and if you have time and gas to kill, enjoy a ride up.

I would hit collectables in Merrimack on the way up or back they are a little shop but they also have a bunch of ammo in stock

I always swing by Riley's when I am in that area. I mostly stock up on reloading supplies. If you are looking for bulk ammo, It's definitely a good idea to call and make sure thy have what you are looking for. If you are on vacation, why not make a nice day trip out of it, there are tons of stuff to do in that area, or a bit further north. Also, swing by the local walmart to check their prices and selection.

You'll spend more on gas that you'll save in ammo cost.

On the bright side you'll have a dang good time.
I'd grab me a premo see-gar and a cuppa joe, fire up some kickin' tunes and head on out anyway.

That's what I'd call a good road trip. [smile]

Yep. Thanks for the ideas. Call ahead is an option - but then I do not get to see the shop. And once I get to Four Seasons I am halfway to Riley's anyway!

Maybe this is good road trip to save for the fall when the leaves change.

I want to go see that shop, if anyone from the Raynham/Taunton/etc area wants to share a ride and split the gas send me a PM. I have a nice big, comfortable Jeep Grand Cherokee and willing to drive

I down loaded the nh and mass gun shop maps. Now I have my gps set to let me know when I'm close to a gun shop when ever I'm out. I have not been to up north in sometime so I have no comparrison. FSGuns has always been worth the trip.
look under gun shops and reviews for the maps. Weedwhacker helped me down load them. In useless for you in reguards to that.

Rileys is a good shop. I have been there twice. It is bigger than FS and not as crowded. They have a lot of cool stuff and the prices were decent.
I don't think the Ammo was a lot cheaper than FS or Wally World. We bought a few items while we were there that are not available in MA. It was worth the trip just to check the place out. The people working there were nice enough and helpful. Unless you are buying a lot of ammo I dont think the tax saving is going to counter the gas spent to drive there from MA

Call before you go to check inventory, assuming you get someone coherent, of course, on the other end.

The other thing you can do if you plan it out right is you can hit a couple of NH walmarts on your way up or down, too, to fill in any missing spots. Then there's tobacco and booze, too. It's not that hard to make it worth your while.

-Mike

I go to Rileys for reloading stuff only, getting scarce around here. I don't think there's much savings there for me to drive 40 min each way for stuff I can get close to home. And yes, do call if your beading up for something specific. I find it a first class shop with a decent selection.

View the trip as a sightseeing adventure and the shops / supplies become a bonus. As Mr T says, you won't recoup your gas based on the savings.

This is probably a very pleasant time of year to drive the Kancamagus Highway, shop the outlet stores in Conway, maybe zip upstate to Mt Washington.

Around halfway along that highway is a resta area with a small lake (large pond?) with a walking path around it (maybe 2m). Great place to stretch the legs.

why limit yourself to ammo?

Find your smoking friends, get a large order (pre paid) for gigs, 70 bucks a carton, you can pocket 15 bucks a carton profit.

BEER! no bottle deposits, screw the planet.

it is that time of the year FIREWORKS! plenty of places in Derry.

Have you been to First Defense in Uxbridge?
It's right around the corner from you! Great shop too!
There is also a fairly new shop in Hopkington ctr.. I haven't checked it out personally yet.

So I have read about Rileys up in NH - never been. From what I have read they have a decent supply of ammunition. Problem is it is over an hour and half drive from where I am in MA. I do buy a lot of ammunition form Four Seasons in Woburn - they are "only" 50 minutes from me and always have a decent supply although prices are creeping up.

I have some vacation time coming up and wanted to drive up to Rileys to check them out. Anyone have any experience with both shops and able/willing to compare ammunition inventories and pricing? Looking at case quantities. Is it worth the trip to Rileys? I would like to go up there just to be able to say I have visited what seems to be an iconic firearms shop.

Wallyworld pricing is ok but they have horrible inventory problems ie: - it's hit or miss whether they have anything in inventory. Shorter drive though.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Walmart will special order if you ask. Also, their ammo trucks comes in every other day (at least the one I asked) so if you know the schedule you know when to show up.

I made a call before I went, got the "Oh sure, we have that!". I got there, they didn't.

I figure the guy answering the phone knows jack crap, the guys that know everything that is in the store and knows just about any answer you may have about any firearm there, are busy with customers.

Rileys is a good shop. I have been there twice. It is bigger than FS and not as crowded. They have a lot of cool stuff and the prices were decent.
I don't think the Ammo was a lot cheaper than FS or Wally World. We bought a few items while we were there that are not available in MA. It was worth the trip just to check the place out. The people working there were nice enough and helpful. Unless you are buying a lot of ammo I dont think the tax saving is going to counter the gas spent to drive there from MA

Oh I know. Driving up from where I am is going to take time and gas. It's an outing - not meant to save money on ammo or anything else. Mostly wondering about selection and inventory and wanting to see a good gun shop. Not that there is anything wrong with the one room shops - but being able to see a large inventory of guns, ammo and accessories in one place is helpful. Always better to buy something you have held and seen than something online or out of a catalog.

Have you been to First Defense in Uxbridge?
It's right around the corner from you! Great shop too!
There is also a fairly new shop in Hopkington ctr.. I haven't checked it out personally yet.

Yep - bought a P220 from First Defense a few weeks ago. Have not seen the place in Hopkinton yet. That's nearby. Seems like shops are springing up all over the place. There is something to be said for this kind of gun control,,,

Yeah - this would be an outing. Again - not meant to save gas or money. Kind of a mini vacation or a day trip. Thanks for all the ideas guys. Stopping off at a couple Walmarts on the way is a great idea. I like the fireworks idea too. Unfortunately they are not legal in MA.

Collectables (in Merrimack) quoted me a very good price on 1000rds of 7.62X39. Beat any online or local price
They and Legends (Dunbarton/Goffstown area) are two fairly new local gems. Great attitude and they clearly understand that specialty and bulk purchasers will keep coming back. I think they will do well.

Back
Top Bottom