Thompson Center Hawken convert percussion to flintlock?

Does anyone know if it is simple, reasonable, cost effective, to convert a percussion model of the T/C Hawken to the flintlock model? I can't find a definitive answer online.

So far, what I have figured out, is that the drum/nipple, or flash hole for the percussion or flintlock model, respectively, are contained in the breech plug.

It looks like if you went with T/C parts you would need to exchange both the lock, and the barrel assembly, since T/C won't sell the plug alone. A breech plug for flintlock for T/C Hawkens is available from a third party, but I imagine some machining is necessary (which I can do).

So, as a minimum, I would need a breech plug and a lock.

Is this so? Can anyone add to this from experience, or otherwise?

Thanks very much.

You got it. The conversion will require replacing both the breechplug and lock.
Probably not worth the cost and effort.
Sell the percussion and buy a flintlock.
You might want to take a close look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, if they are still made.
They were much better guns than the TC, the last time that I looked.
You need a good quality lock if you are to be happy with a flinchlock.

Jack

Lyman does still make the Great Plains rifle in percussion and flintlock as a whole gun and as a kit.
As a sidenote, I have a CVA Hawken and have been told that it takes either the factory or a gunsmith to remove/replace the breechplug. Why I don't know except that its very difficult to remove on mine. Just might not be worth the effort and possible damage to try to convert it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom