• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This Site slow or broken

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
Lately, this site has been very slow for me. I'm talking about over a week,and right now it is so bad I time out between pages.

I guess I'm spoiled. after getting broadband, I don't expect to wait 40 or more seconds to change a page... if it even works.

I don't know if this is a growth thing with server capability, or if something else has changed with the system.

Derek, are subscriptions anywhere near keeping up with server capability? Do we need to get more money into servers? Higher subscription price?

As much as this is the biggest part of my day, I can't continue to sit and wait and wait for screens to change.

Can we look forward to improvement?

I am looking at getting on a dedicated server in the very near future. I will let you guys know when I decide to move on it.

Relieved to know I am not the only one...this happens when a site gets POPULAR!![grin] Appreciate all the hard work in maintaining....been there, done that...you are all doing a great job!!

I haven't really taken much notice of speed until today. Today the site has been nearly unusable a lot of the time. It takes 3 or 4 refreshes before a page will load.

I've been having some real connection problems, too. Sometimes I can't get in at all. This has been occurring intermittently since the recent brief outage.

Just an FYI.

UGH. The Apache bw limiter modules are fine on modest speed sites, but WOW do they tend to puke on high volume servers. I know because I tried to implement each and every one of them on a server pulling a steady 6Mbps with 1200 requests/sec. I wound up swiching operating systems so I could do bandwidth control in the kernel.

Time to find the site a new home, I guess. I'm happy to help out with any logistics or tech stuff if I can.

UGH. The Apache bw limiter modules are fine on modest speed sites, but WOW do they tend to puke on high volume servers. I know because I tried to implement each and every one of them on a server pulling a steady 6Mbps with 1200 requests/sec. I wound up swiching operating systems so I could do bandwidth control in the kernel.

Time to find the site a new home, I guess. I'm happy to help out with any logistics or tech stuff if I can.

Oh yeah, I hate when that happens...

[what the hell did he say?]

Working on it guys.

Derek, I'll help anyway I can. I'm good for fetching a beer or pressing ctrl+alt+del.[thinking]

I LOVE it when you talk technical!

I LOVE it when you talk technical!
[smile] I'd have posted a "Ur Doing It Wrong" pic with the site's ISP logo on it, but I'm just not zee artiste.

To translate: looks to me like the provider is trying to figure out how to share out a server that's got at least one other site that is a real bandwidth hog. And failing. Derek has the right idea going to a dedicated server.

Back
Top Bottom