Thinking of getting a P1 Walther - Got one last night on GB

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I've been thinking of getting a P1 Walther for a while now. This is so I can have the experience of shooting a P38 more often, while not risking my mint 3/44 cyq (Spreewerke).

Can you shoot hotter/heavier/SD loads out of a P1? I limit my original to the light 115gr Winchester White Box FMJ/RN ammo.

T

Last edited:
1966 specimen on the classifieds right now for short money... I'm not affiliated with the seller and not interested myself, but if you're in the market...

There's three on GunBroker from $375-450; 11/77, 11/81, and unknown. All reinforced. One with holster, another with two mags. Need a buyer for my Beretta first.

T

There are still plenty of all steel HP and East German police guns out there, many have new barrels from $250 to $350

Good luck

WHP0005x_zpsjd4fxmps.jpg

There are still plenty of all steel HP and East German police guns out there, many have new barrels from $250 to $350

Good luck
Any good info on what differentiates an East German one? East Germany has been a research interest of mine for a while, and I was thinking of getting an East German Makarov at some point (passed on the last chance I had, which I regret). I didn't think E. Germany used many P1s and would be interested in more info.

Here's the one I got on GunBroker. West German Army marked (Bw - Bundeswehr), 11/1981 production, reinforced frame and slide, bright and not flat phosphate finish, discreet import mark on front strap. Full rig with spare magazine and 1963 holster. One magazine phosphate, one magazine wartime P38.

Not regretting this; but a nice, matching byf43 with a discreet import mark on the front strap sold for only $150 more than the P1.[angry2]

Seller's pics. Now I need a proper shoulder rig for concealed carry.

T

Attachments

• pix108270545.jpeg
    pix108270545.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 23
  • pix101480234.jpeg
    pix101480234.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 24
  • pix010681043.jpeg
    pix010681043.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23
  • pix605736435.jpeg
    pix605736435.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Any suggestions as to what would be a good carry load for this? I am partial to Liberty; I assume it will feed well.

What would be a good limited penetration round?

T

Any suggestions as to what would be a good carry load for this? I am partial to Liberty; I assume it will feed well.

T
I'm partial to Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST in 9mm. I don't think either are +P so I would assume they could be OK for an older firearm.

T

just about any hollow point really.
not trying to be a wise ass but whats with the over penetration concern. I can see a slight need for over penetration for inside your home and such through walls but what good does over penetration do when your likely to miss more than 1/2 your shots in a "gun" shooting event?

This one is not that 'old' at November of 1981. Also, it has the reinforced frame and slide.

T
That's right, sorry. In fact, my carry gun isn't much newer than that. Well, for what it's worth I carry with the Federal HST or the Speer Gold Dots. I've used Federal for longer, but Speer runs just fine for me and I use that if I run out of Federal.

FWIW, when I carry a 9mm I also like 115 gr. Though it's not a P1. I roll my own JHPs over 4.2 gr of Bullseye and I never feel handicapped.

No experience with p38/p1 feeding, but it's done fine in older Berettas and my old HP.

Back
Top Bottom