Thinking about a feeder

I like the ones that hang from a tree and are set on a timer. I have never used one, but I also plan on buying one this season to put up on a property in NH.

IMO now is not the time to put out a supplemental feeder for deer. Deer have been subsisting primarily on woody browse and the acorns that they can get at so the enzymes in their stomachs are optimized for their current diet. A sudden switch to something like corn may leave them with full bellies of indigestible food causing them to starve. Read this article from the University of Montana to see what I am talking about: http://www.animalrangeextension.montana.edu/articles/wildlife/deer_tough_love.htm

Just for the record I am not against supplemental feeding it is just that this is not the time to start it IMO. You also have to consider disease transmission. The type of feeder has a lot to do with that. A broadcast feeder puts the feed on the ground but a "bump" feeder, or trough feeder, where a deer has to bump a lever to get the food to come out puts a lot of deer in contact with one another through the lever or trough. In addition the local environment and the predators that the supplemental feeding will draw with the deer should also be considered.

Just food for thought.

Bob

do you have to take the feeder away 10 days before the season begins, so it it is not considered baiting?

IMO now is not the time to put out a supplemental feeder for deer. Deer have been subsisting primarily on woody browse and the acorns that they can get at so the enzymes in their stomachs are optimized for their current diet. A sudden switch to something like corn may leave them with full bellies of indigestible food causing them to starve. Read this article from the University of Montana to see what I am talking about: http://www.animalrangeextension.montana.edu/articles/wildlife/deer_tough_love.htm

Just for the record I am not against supplemental feeding it is just that this is not the time to start it IMO. You also have to consider disease transmission. The type of feeder has a lot to do with that. A broadcast feeder puts the feed on the ground but a "bump" feeder, or trough feeder, where a deer has to bump a lever to get the food to come out puts a lot of deer in contact with one another through the lever or trough. In addition the local environment and the predators that the supplemental feeding will draw with the deer should also be considered.

Just food for thought.

Bob

This! Please do not abruptly start a feeding program until mid to late summer if at all. If you are trying to attract
deer then you should try planting edible crops/trees/shrubs.

Is it economically efficient to actually plant enough edible crops/trees/shrubs for enough deer though? These animals eat a LOT.

Is it economically efficient to actually plant enough edible crops/trees/shrubs for enough deer though? These animals eat a LOT.

I know someone that plants supplemental feed plots (about 25a) and they generally work out well. Deer are browsers, and though they have favorites, they don't eat the same thing day after day. We are no different in that respect; as much as I like pizza I wouldn't want to eat it every day.

Bob

I know someone that plants supplemental feed plots (about 25a) and they generally work out well. Deer are browsers, and though they have favorites, they don't eat the same thing day after day. We are no different in that respect; as much as I like pizza I wouldn't want to eat it every day.

Bob
i know someone too that does it. and it doesnt count as baiting. even though when you think about it, it is baiting. LOL I met the dude when i was getting my hunting license.

That's 25 acres, and I'd argue setting that up is expensive as well as beyond the capabilities of many hunters. I'm jealous as well. :)

That's 25 acres, and I'd argue setting that up is expensive as well as beyond the capabilities of many hunters. I'm jealous as well. :)

He spends hundreds just in seeds not to mention the equipment. He typically plants pumpkin, turnips, and brassica. He shoots some really nice deer every year. Too spendy for me. I wouldn't want to see his cost / pound for the venison.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom