They did it right.

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Last edited:
Wardens also told the Sun Journal it’s not uncommon for teens to travel by snowmobile without adult supervision in western Maine.

This happened in western Maine and both teens are from Rhode Island. I wonder how familiar they were with the area. Obviously not super familiar, since they missed a turn. That seems like the biggest issue here. Lack of familiarity with the area, something that can easily be overlooked. Glad they had the skills to survive in such frigid temperatures.

We go on searches every so often. Most of the time, out of towners, sometimes mechanical problems.

A while back, they found snowmobile tracks leading to a hole in the ice. I never found out what the result was.

This happened in western Maine and both teens are from Rhode Island. I wonder how familiar they were with the area. Obviously not super familiar, since they missed a turn. That seems like the biggest issue here. Lack of familiarity with the area, something that can easily be overlooked. Glad they had the skills to survive in such frigid temperatures.

I saw in another source that though they were Flatlanders from Away, at least one had familiarity with the area.

Those boys did pretty well in my opinion. They got stuck (bad, but it happens), had no way to call for help (also bad, but a cell might not have helped) and then set to work making sure they wouldn't die (very good). From what I can tell, they did the following things right:

1. STAYED TOGETHER!
2. Found shelter.
3. Thought about what they had on hand to make fire.
4. Went for help in the morning.

One of them was a Mainer who only moved to RI a few months ago. That's what the RI news was saying the other day, anyway.

Saw an interview on tv - I believe they were visiting with a grandfather who lives in the area. At least one of them had been trained in survival skills, his attitude was "WTF, we had some problems, we dealt with it". He'll probably be on NES before too long.

Hopefully they learned a lesson. They did good surviving the night in those temps.

Sounds like they have their shit together pretty well. I hope the lesson learned is to keep using and improving what they know, and not to travel without some basic supplies and tools. All in all, I'd say their parents have some kids to be proud of. As to their being unfamiliar with the area because they took a wrong turn, that's real easy to do in the woods, at night, on a snowmobile, when it's below zero and you're dressed up like Skywalker on planet Hoth.

Sounds like they have their shit together pretty well. I hope the lesson learned is to keep using and improving what they know, and not to travel without some basic supplies and tools. All in all, I'd say their parents have some kids to be proud of. As to their being unfamiliar with the area because they took a wrong turn, that's real easy to do in the woods, at night, on a snowmobile, when it's below zero and you're dressed up like Skywalker on planet Hoth.

Trails look very different in the winter. I get lost plenty in non-snowy months but this time of year I pretty much lose my way every time I go out in the woods, and most of the time I'm on foot moving at about 2 MPH if I'm lucky. So far I haven't died, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom