The Town of Weymouth, by Weymouth anding and Quincy. Zip 02188

Hello and GM all! Brand new to the Forum, I was referred here from a helpful member on another forum. Well, my dear friend appears to be interested in going the route of obtaining what I used to refer to as a CCW, referenced in Mass as an LTC or FID, it seems. He says she wants to get an LTC-A. She lives in Weymouth, zip 02188. I saw that town appear in red when at the gun law thread, by town. Is there any possibel reason as to why that is?

Now, some more information about the applicant: She is a life-long Massachusetts resident. 46 years old. (Used to be/will be/varies) regular subway rider, and has recently taken an interest in wanting something to defend herself with. Has no issue with guns though MA does. Squeaky-clean criminal record, and I am fact-finding on her behalf as much as I can. So, lets go with it. Her first step? The next step? What is Robert C. Grimes like? Will he say NO after everything is said and done?

Lets discuss! By the way.. I love Massachusetts. However, Im from Florida and.. Sheesh, gun freedom down there.

I think I see what you mean about stupid gun laws! :/

So, she would be able to own in the house then? And she STILL cant carry a pepper spray or stun gun?

What LenS said. Also, it's a good idea to check with the local PD, in this case Weymouth PD, to see if they have any special, extra, requirements such as reference letters, etc.

By the way Stun guns are outlawed in Mass. Pepper spray with at least a ristricted FID card ( 25.00)

Dan Long
Boston, MA

By the way Stun guns are outlawed in Mass. Pepper spray with at least a ristricted FID card ( 25.00)

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Thank you Dan Long, LenS, yanici. (Dan I have gotten familiar with the Red line on the T. Im new to Mass, but I like it. Come from Weymouth through Quincy when I do. I like it here. Better than NYC where I lived close to for some time.) Yeah, I am on here asking on her behalf so I know what she is "in for." If Weymouth PD will issue an LTC-A with restriction that she cant carry it, tnen she may end up fillign it out for some type of pistol or shotgun in the home, though more likely the pepper spray with the license Dan Long talked about.

And things have changed, EBay sellers wont mail one here (a stun gun or taser.) At least they used to, but no more.

I think I see what you mean about stupid gun laws! :/

So, she would be able to own in the house then? And she STILL cant carry a pepper spray or stun gun?

She could own and shoot at a range with a Weymouth restricted LTC-A. She could carry OC with any gun license issued in MA. As Dan stated, stun guns are illegal in MA and even VERY restricted for PDs to possess.

Thank you Dan Long, LenS, yanici. (Dan I have gotten familiar with the Red line on the T. Im new to Mass, but I like it. Come from Weymouth through Quincy when I do. I like it here. Better than NYC where I lived close to for some time.) Yeah, I am on here asking on her behalf so I know what she is "in for." If Weymouth PD will issue an LTC-A with restriction that she cant carry it, tnen she may end up fillign it out for some type of pistol or shotgun in the home, though more likely the pepper spray with the license Dan Long talked about.

And things have changed, EBay sellers wont mail one here (a stun gun or taser.) At least they used to, but no more.

What eBay sellers will do or not is irrelevant, it's a felony to possess a stun gun/taser in MA! That's been the law since the 1980s. I was working a shift at a major ivy league college the night that the MA AG sent out a teletype message to ALL PDs in MA advising them that even POs could not possess them anymore. [It was due to an incident on the South Shore where a rogue cop threatened to use one on a hot chick he stopped for speeding if she didn't do him sexual favors. It was in the news and he was related to a police chief. End result was "a new law" forbidding them. Law was changed a few years ago for LEOs only, but only SOME LEOs and very strict controls required to deploy them to officers, so even today few departments issue them.]

If she solely wants mace or pepper spray, at minimum, she needs the FID restricted ($25).

If she also wants to own guns then she needs the LTC A or B ($100 for either and A is better so shoot for A, of course!). With the LTC, she can still get pepper spray

What is Robert C. Grimes like?

Its actually Richard Grimes. He be the newish Chief. He's a good guy and very easy to talk to, also well respected.

Brian King is the licensing officer. The few times that I have spoken to him are pleasant. Doesn't beat around the bush, he gets to the point. He does alot from what I understand including sex offenders and other licensing.
Weymouth schools however have a big issue with having shooting & bombs threats being called in. So I can understand him restricting the licensing he gives out. From what I'm told, he'll only give out Unrestricted to people that have police academy or military training. He asks or requires 3 letters of recommendation.
Overall, he's a good guy.

Not to argue with your assesment of the licensing officer, but for him to pre-judge people as unworthy as not having gone to the police academy, or military service, is discrimanatory.

This is not the "Starship Troopers" universe, where "Service guarantees citizenship."

And, how many LTC applicants are in the Weymouth School System? [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom