The Swearing In Ceremony

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
While reading another thread called "A Soldiers Story" I couldn't help but remember attending a Swearing In Ceremony back at the Albuquerque MEPS in 1984.

My daughter was enlisting in the Air Force.

Most of the kids there were like my daughter. I don't think they truly knew what they were doing yet...the reality just had't set in

I had a tremendous sense of pride in my daughter for enlisting.

But I have to admit I was even more impressed by two other young men in that room on that day.

Two Navajo boys from the reservation, ....couldn't have been older than 18 and they were enlisting in the Marine Corps.

They both showed up with "high and tight" haircuts. They both wore brand new white T-shirts and starched Khaki trousers. They had tan web belts with a highly shined brass buckle, and wore military low quarters with a shine that would blind you!

These guy's had obviously been schooled, perhaps by their father or their brothers who were also Marines.

But what impressed me most was their demeanor.....they had a look on their face that showed that they knew the seriousness of what they were doing.

When the Officer came in, and someone called "Attention", most of the kids had a wild eyed stare, not knowing what to do. (Even my daughter)

These two guy's turned to the flag at the front of the room, clicked their heels and snapped to attention like they had already been trained!

And the look on their faces as they took the oath was something I will never forget.

I am not ashamed to admit that I was perhaps a bit more proud of watching them enlist than I was of my own daughter.....

Perhaps that is because I didn't raise my kids as well as those two young Marines were raised.

I will always wonder how their careers turned out...wish I had gotten their names.

Well our son was raised by mom and dad who are ex- Army and his Grandfather who was a Marine. Some of my sons teachers actually felt sorry for him.[wink] He knew what he was getting himself into, but didn't believe us on some things until after he came back and said You guys were right.[laugh]

To think we were all so excited to go to boot camp. I have the video/pictures of my girlfriend and I swearing in to the Marine Corps before leaving on my laptop. To think, we were all motivated and excited to go to boot camp, talk about misplaced excitement.

I know our recruiters pretty much mandated what we were to wear going up there. Polo, belt, khakis, etc. Basically told us not to look like crap. Thanks to you and your daughter for your service.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom