the site , after the kill ....

So this is my first year hunting and i have an arsenal of dumb questions to ask, and this one struck me as i was sitting around so im gonna roll the dice.
So you take the time , find a spot, scout .. tree stand the whole nine , you know this place is loaded with nice bucks ( ill post the pics later ) you get lucky say first or second day of shotgun you take one. Here is the real dumb part . You field dress it there cause its too heavy to move ... so you dress it, then come back the next day and take your stand and go somewhere else? for a season , year ?

If you shoot a buck, save the part of the leg with the stinky metatarsal glands (the lower part) and throw them back out in the field somewhere within easy shooting range of your stand on day 2. Sit back and watch every doe in your county come a-runnin'.

How many deer can you shoot in a season? I clean mine where it dies. The scavengers will usually clean it up over night. Depending on what you hunt with and how good of a shot you make a deer will usually run a little ways away before dying so it will clear the area.

Like everything, hunting is a progression and learning experience. So after you successfully get one, surely use the same tactics to get another one! But having succeeded you may want to join others in a push, or still hunt, or from a ground blind. As time progresses your tactics will change.
As a newbie I'd shoot anything, and pulled too many tags. After somes success, I dream of progressively larger bucks and getting one from on the ground with a bow.
Good luck!

You couldent say it any better. everytime you step in the field for a hunt you learn something new. and grow your knowlege and tactics of hunting, firsts its deer, then it expands to whatevers in season.

So this is my first year hunting and i have an arsenal of dumb questions to ask, and this one struck me as i was sitting around so im gonna roll the dice.
So you take the time , find a spot, scout .. tree stand the whole nine , you know this place is loaded with nice bucks ( ill post the pics later ) you get lucky say first or second day of shotgun you take one. Here is the real dumb part . You field dress it there cause its too heavy to move ... so you dress it, then come back the next day and take your stand and go somewhere else? for a season , year ?

There is no reason to move your stand just because of a gut pile. I always cut open the rumen to see what they have been eating and i have seen deer eating the contents of another deers rumen at a gut pile. Besides that the coyotes and other scavengers will clean up a gut pile in no time.

Take your time and make a good shot. That will greatly simplify recovery and cuts down on the human activity and scent during the recovery.Once you have spend a day chasing a poorly shot deer you will not want to do that again.

Bob

WGI_0003.JPG
This is the very first picture on my very first camera , literally 20 feet from my very first hunting sight. I havent been able to sleep for 2 nights since seeing this :)

Good luck with that bruiser! Hopefully he comes off that 3AM cycle. Are you going bow or shotgun?

Back
Top Bottom