The New Yorker-The Gun Owners of the Parkland Generation

Only part I didn't like was "As firearms have proliferated in the United States, so have gun-related injuries and deaths."

I always thought that "proliferate" means "grow." If that's true, "gun-related injuries and deaths" have not "proliferated." Perhaps their metric is different from mine, but my understanding is that of these numbers have decreased over the last two decades, in contrast with ownership.

Too many antis only ever see the movies and pictures of gangbangers on the internet. We need this kind of exposure, talking about responsibility and showing gun owners, not thugs.

They still had to go here: "Before Nikolas Cruz was expelled from Stoneman Douglas, he was a member of a varsity riflery team that benefitted from a ten-thousand-dollar grant from the National Rifle Association."

Cuz it's the NRA's fault the kid turned out to be a murderer.

Video from the photographer at the bottom:

The Gun Owners of the Parkland Generation

Quoting:
"The side that are pro-gun-control often only talk to eachother, and have likely never met a gun owner. And that's certainly who I was before I set about this project".

"The real eye opener was that... it's all very mainstream"

This is why we have work to do. It's the same thing with racism, and how normalization and getting rid of "the other" has helped tremendously with the racism problem. Gun owners are still viewed as "other".

Video from the photographer at the bottom:

The Gun Owners of the Parkland Generation

Quoting:
"The side that are pro-gun-control often only talk to eachother, and have likely never met a gun owner. And that's certainly who I was before I set about this project".

"The real eye opener was that... it's all very mainstream"

This is why we have work to do. It's the same thing with racism, and how normalization and getting rid of "the other" has helped tremendously with the racism problem. Gun owners are still viewed as "other".
Then he says something about gun ownership normalizing faster than ever before. Which is interesting only because even 30 years ago it didn't need to normalize - for much of the country, it was already there.

Back
Top Bottom