~ The minimalist’s hand loading video . . .

Just thought this short video was interesting, first time I’ve seen it. So for those that haven’t, here’s the "minimalist’s" hand loading video.

You Tube ~ Reloading with a Lee Loader;

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess he was using a calibrated powder scoop which is good for just one powder?

Wow, I spend 10 minutes or more just trying to ensure my powder drop is accurate and dropping one charge and then 10 charges accurately.

It would also make me nervous pounding on the round to seat the primer. I feel my press does it more gently (perhaps it's just an illusion).

I also don't load in my long sleeve oxford shirts. LOL

Actually, if you have ever purchased a Lee die set, you know that John Lee gives you that little yellow powder scoop, and it's supposed to be the right amount of powder, for ANY powder that you want to use for that caliber.

I'll argue with his logic all day long.

I guess he was using a calibrated powder scoop which is good for just one powder?

Wow, I spend 10 minutes or more just trying to ensure my powder drop is accurate and dropping one charge and then 10 charges accurately.

It would also make me nervous pounding on the round to seat the primer. I feel my press does it more gently (perhaps it's just an illusion).

I also don't load in my long sleeve oxford shirts. LOL

I have loaded 100's and 100's of 38 spl rounds with a Lee Loader. I have only set off the primer 5 times. Definitely gets your attention. The set comes with a list of specific powders that are suitable for use with the scoop in the set. I will still use it occasionally if I want to just knock out a few target rounds to try. Strangely, it's fun.

Oh, yes. Fortunately, if it happens, you only hurt your ears. I use a hand primer now, and my press is set up for 357. Sometimes though, I'll grab the loader and "bang" out a dozen 38's or so (using the hand primer).

I loaded .30 Carbine on mine. I had to pound the crap out of it to get them in and out of the sizing die until I got a tip from an old timer and used Mink Oil as a lube (it's mostly lanolin). I'd put some on my fingers when I handled the cases and the process went way smoother.

I used the little scoop for H110. Years later I weighed the charge at about 14 grains - perfect for a .30 Carbine.

I spent a good amount of time when I was a kid helping my dad reload on a lee "whackAmole" reloader,,,,,,,as he called it.

I used one of these when I was getting into shooting a long, long time ago in my teens. I'd buy a new box of 50 38 specials, reload them until they cracked, then buy another new box and start the process over again.

Back
Top Bottom