• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

the mag isn't supposed to release in the holster, is it?

This is something I've been noticing over the last couple of weeks or so with my S&W1911Sc (4" Commander barrel). I've been carrying every day in a Crossbreed Supertuck, held at 3 o'clock on my hip. It's very comfortable, the pistol conceals well, but... a handful of times when I take the gun off for the night, I notice that the magazine has been released. It's still hanging around in the magazine well, but its like the mag release was pressed and the mag never removed. Has this ever happened to any of y'all, and how can I stop it from happening in the future?

--Lee

Actually it happened to me with my 1911 commander in a crossbread holster. I got a nicer holster and the problem went away.

There is nothing wrong with your holster, try moving it slightly to the rear as suggested so it rides off your hip, it will also be much more comfortable and ride closer to boot. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck and a S&W 1911PD Gunsite and have had no problems.

This problem isn't exclusive to 1911's and 3 O'Clock Carry.
I've seen a few incidents with PO's carrying M&P40's, in duty holsters, losing their mags on the seat of the cruiser.

modify the holster or the gun

I just looked at some pictures of that holster to see if the leather touches the mag release. Yes it looks like it does. maybe you can wet the leather and try molding it better around your gun. You could cut out that area creating a pocket for the button but that may cause it to hang up or get pressed on the draw.

You might want to try a stronger spring.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=385039

I'd assume this would fit the S&W but check first. Also check if S&W mag release protrudes further than a standard GI model.

at least you had the mag in at one point. half way through the day yesterday i noticed i had my pistol on my hip with no mag! [rolleyes]

For. The. Loss.

Last edited:
I just looked at some pictures of that holster to see if the leather touches the mag release. Yes it looks like it does. maybe you can wet the leather and try molding it better around your gun. You could cut out that area creating a pocket for the button but that may cause it to hang up or get pressed on the draw.

The Crossbreed is an amazing holster, the most comfortable I've ever worn, but I took a pair of scissors and cut off the "body shield" portion of the leather. Much faster/smoother draw, and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom