The Addiction

45collector

NES Member
As time rolls along and I collect more guns and accessories, I figure at some point I'll finally be satisfied with what I've got. Maybe then I can stop checking the classifieds every 5 seconds. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Everytime I buy a gun, I say to myself "OK, now that's IT for a while!, no more! I've got to start chunking out my credit card debt!" A few weeks later I'm again checking my bank account and thinking of what bills are due next to see if I can swing that cool old rifle, or that neat little carry gun. I'm forever buying holsters, grips, tools, books, etc... I think I need help.
My father once told me, "Choose your addiction. Are you a drunk? A druggy? A gambler? Me, I collect militaria. And when I die, you get to sort through the multiple storage units of my stuff. Have Fun!"

So I offer you fellow members this thread, so it may act as a support group for addicts. I've promised myself I won't aquire (whether it be by trade or sale) another gun until Spring. (Present possible transaction excluded, of course)

I have a vision: It's me at 70 years old. I've got a crappy old car, a house that's falling apart, no wife and no kids, and a gun collection worth $500,000. That's kinda creepy.

Of course, if the gun-grabbers get their way and ban everything but sporks, maybe that will save me the agony of eternally searching for that one missing piece of my collection.

Stop me before I buy again.

[grin]

Rather that say "I won't acquire (whether it be by trade or sale) another gun until Spring" , you should set a target date...Spring is too ill defined for a strong resolve to keep to for the purpose of not making another transaction.

Dr. Steve

Hello, my name is Rob and I have a problem with projectile weaponry....

I feel your pain 100% and I'm with you. I had a short list, but I blew through that list and now I'm in a free-for-all buying spree. My rationale is, unless the jackboots tell me otherwise, I'm not stopping until:

A) I'm broke beyond broke and have to start selling off other hobbies to support this one
B) The floor above me caves in under the weight of multiple safes and ammo boxes and I'm crushed in a blessed mess of metal
C) I die in the zombie Apocalypse and get reborn into a brain hungry monster

I don't know which possibility is more likely.

I feel your pain 100% and I'm with you. I had a short list, but I blew through that list and now I'm in a free-for-all buying spree. My rationale is, unless the jackboots tell me otherwise, I'm not stopping until:

A) I'm broke beyond broke and have to start selling off other hobbies to support this one
B) The floor above me caves in under the weight of multiple safes and ammo boxes and I'm crushed in a blessed mess of metal
C) I die in the zombie Apocalypse and get reborn into a brain hungry monster

I hope to end with C.

Zombies can live forever right?

Rather that say "I won't acquire (whether it be by trade or sale) another gun until Spring" , you should set a target date...Spring is too ill defined for a strong resolve to keep to for the purpose of not making another transaction.

Dr. Steve

OK then March 20th. Thank you for the moment of clarity Dr. Steve

I get screamed at constantly by my girl from Dec-March for being on this site. "Here he goes again, wheelin and dealin" she says. I enjoy buying and selling and trying things out. If I dont like them or would like to do better, they're gone. Life's great, enjoy it!

...B) The floor above me caves in under the weight of multiple safes and ammo boxes and I'm crushed in a blessed mess of metal...

RoB!!!! Ammo, ammo ammo! Woohoo!

I feel your pain as well, 45collector. I have this wierd fetish about having ammo. I dunno'...I just must have all of it. All the time.

If my range bag falls under 60 pounds, I have a problem. (Houston, he already HAS a problem.) Yes yes, peanut gallery. lol!

OK then March 20th. Thank you for the moment of clarity Dr. Steve

That's more like it!!!!

To be fair and supportive, those of us around you will refrain from mentioning any new gun purchases etc. Hell, I'll even go cold turkey with you until then....But, given my track record to date, that is highly unlikely [grin]- so I retract that, but I'll keep quiet and will be supportive

Dr. Steve

I solved my addiction by running out of money.

That will be my situation as well, most likely.

Seriously though, If I go to buy a tool for work, or parts for my car, or a dentist appointment, whatever, I think: "I wonder what I could have bought with that money? 1000 rounds of 7.62? Maybe a nice scope for the .22 rifle?" I buy an ordinary everyday used holster from someone here, or another forum for $20, and when it finally comes in the mail, I'm all giddy and it's the best part of the day!

A friend said to me: "If you had a girlfriend, you wouldn't be spending all this time and energy with guns and stuff." My repsonse: "Exactly! They're a distraction!!" [laugh]

Go with the flow, man.

There is a difference between obsession and feeling good...obsession doesn't feel good. You feel guilty, you ask other people if what you are doing is OK, you worry about what other people think, you are afraid that you will miss something if you don't do it now.

If you feel good you are not concerned about any of that...you are going with the flow..YOUR flow.[grin] Nice feeling.

I used to be on the "Gun or three a month" plan, now I'm lucky if I buy 2 in a year now. Lots of expenses and bills competing for money I used to be able to spend on guns and ammo.

One upside to this is that now whenever I manage to get a new gun it's more
exciting. [laugh]

-Mike

i hear you 45.,one week i got 4 from 4 differant places and my friends are starting to look at me funny.now i am laid off and am swapping the ones i dont like for ones i do.[smile]and calling unemployment on sundays is like trying to buy red sox tickets when they go on sale,busy all day.[crying]

Go with the flow, man.

There is a difference between obsession and feeling good...obsession doesn't feel good. You feel guilty, you ask other people if what you are doing is OK, you worry about what other people think, you are afraid that you will miss something if you don't do it now.

If you feel good you are not concerned about any of that...you are going with the flow..YOUR flow.[grin] Nice feeling.

I must say it is a good feeling. I don't feel I'm obsessed because I've got plenty of other hobbies that take up my time. This one is just the most expensive! It comes down to will power. When it comes to firearms, I just don't have it.

You need more ammo...

Well I consider that part of the "accessory" realm. I've got plenty of ammo squirreled away too.

As time rolls along and I collect more guns and accessories, I hope at some point I'll finally be satisfied with what I've got. Maybe then I can stop checking the classifieds every 2 seconds. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Everytime I buy a gun, I say to myself "OK, now that's IT for a while!, no more! I've got to start chunking out my credit card debt!" A few days later I'm again checking my bank account and thinking of what bills are due next to see if I can swing that cool old rifle, or that neat little carry gun. I'm forever buying holsters, ammo, magazines etc... I know I need help.

Of course, if the gun-grabbers get their way and ban everything but sporks, maybe that will save me the agony of eternally searching for that one missing piece of my collection.

Stop me before I buy again.

[grin]
There. With a few minor changes The above post is something I could write.[smile]

I solved my addiction by running out of money.
I'm there.

...when it finally comes in the mail, I'm all giddy and it's the best part of the day!
Me too.

Go with the flow, man.

That was wall put. Thank you.

The MP5 is the first "toy" I bought in a long time. I've added pieces to my collection, but this just a play thing. However with it's price tag and my basement still a work in progress, I REALLY have to watch my buying habits the next few months.

The problem I have is that I have too many hobbies. Guns, Golf, Skiing, Cycling, etc', etc', etc' and way to little money to support them all. I think I need to dump a couple and try and concentrate remaining funds to plan for the apocalypse. [wink]

The problem I have is that I have too many hobbies. Guns, Golf, Skiing, Cycling, etc', etc', etc' and way to little money to support them all. I think I need to dump a couple and try and concentrate remaining funds to plan for the apocalypse. [wink]

As I've said many times, Golf is the willfull misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. Now you know which one to quit.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom