Tests...

No, not yet...I have something in the works...so I'll keep everyone posted.

Great. I hope you're working some 'miracle' deal.

Do some of you more experienced operators know how I can have more meaningful DX contacts? I've been having a lot of fun and I've been working some places I didn't even know existed. But usually the contacts are so short it's almost not worth it. A few minutes at most. I mean the guy just wants to get a signal report, exchange pleasantries and move on to another contact. In short, it's quantity over quality. I would much prefer to actually learn a little something about the people and places I'm reaching.

Great. I hope you're working some 'miracle' deal.

Do some of you more experienced operators know how I can have more meaningful DX contacts? I've been having a lot of fun and I've been working some places I didn't even know existed. But usually the contacts are so short it's almost not worth it. A few minutes at most. I mean the guy just wants to get a signal report, exchange pleasantries and move on to another contact. In short, it's quantity over quality. I would much prefer to actually learn a little something about the people and places I'm reaching.
Most dx by nature is short and just 59 59 name and qth. This comes from dx being more difficult than shorter range contacts. There is a lot of rag chewing if you know where and when to look. The key is to tune around and listen to the cadence of the dx. Try asking questions about the weather or the station the operator is running or what the qth is like. What band are you operating on? Most late mornings you can find a Kuwait station around 14.240.00 He is very strong and seems to enjoy longer contacts. With the contest this weekend people are getting ready to make lots of contacts.

Most dx by nature is short and just 59 59 name and qth. This comes from dx being more difficult than shorter range contacts. There is a lot of rag chewing if you know where and when to look. The key is to tune around and listen to the cadence of the dx. Try asking questions about the weather or the station the operator is running or what the qth is like. What band are you operating on? Most late mornings you can find a Kuwait station around 14.240.00 He is very strong and seems to enjoy longer contacts. With the contest this weekend people are getting ready to make lots of contacts.

Thanks, I've had some decent conversations but usually it's fairly short.
I was thinking of playing arouind in the contest a little this weekend. I read somewhere that you can get a pin if you make 100 contacts. I just have to figure out how to register and how to report the contacts.

I am not sure of the specific rules as I am not a " contester " but if you mean dxcc That is 100 different countries. Read the rules, keep a good log and remember to qsl:) Either way you can work lots of countries this weekend.
edited to add if you are interested in dx read the comples dx'er by w9kni. Very good book.

Realtor, I QSO'd with a newly minted Ham today on Waltham .075, your son Travis. He told me he's already studying for General.

Thanks! He told me. His license got posted to the ULS sometime this afternoon so he was very excited to be on the air only a few hours after that. He'll probably be on again soon. I also noticed that he was more interested in doing some studying for the exam today.

Thanks! He told me. His license got posted to the ULS sometime this afternoon so he was very excited to be on the air only a few hours after that. He'll probably be on again soon. I also noticed that he was more interested in doing some studying for the exam today.

He came on in the middle of a conversation about the music of Frank Zappa (imagine that [laugh2]). He said he never heard of FZ before, but I think he knows who Frank is now. [laugh]
Great group of oddballs up on .075, the conversations tend to get quite silly at times.

What's up with the Vanity call you applied for?

Last edited:
He came on in the middle of a conversation about the music of Frank Zappa (imagine that [laugh2]). He said he never heard of FZ before, but I think he knows who Frank is now. [laugh]
Great group of oddballs up on .075, the conversations tend to get quite silly at times.

What's up with the Vanity call you applied for?

since I applied for that call I've found some pretty interesting sites. One of them has a list of all the applications and predictions of the outcome. According to their predictions the new call will be issued to me on 3/13. I'm looking forward to that. I hope the shorter call doesn't hurt my chances in a DX pileup. I've been having great luck getting through to a lot of odd places. I think it annoys some of the other operators who are running linear amps into Yagi antennas when they hear my describe my G5RV and 100 watt setup. A few minutes ago I crashed through a pile up and spoke to someone in Dominica which apparently is an island just North of Martinique. Who knew?

A few minutes ago I crashed through a pile up and spoke to someone in Dominica which apparently is an island just North of Martinique. Who knew?

One thing about DX'ing, it makes you learn your geography.
Ever hear of "The Isle of Yell" ?
Neither did I until I made a DX contact there [laugh]
I also remember QSO'ing a few times to a station in Montserrat, before the volcano wiped out half the island in 1995. Last year I had a customer that told me he was from Montserrat, he was very surprised that I new where it was, because most people he meets have never heard of it. I told him that I'm a Ham and used to speak to an operator there, who was a prison guard in Salem. I remembered the op's name (Selvin) and this guy said he knew him! What are the odds on that!

Learning about the geography is very cool to me. There are so many different places around the world. A good atlas is a must in imo. I worked a new one yesterday d44ac in Cape Verde. I usually know where they are but that one I had to look up. Sitting right at 85 worked now:)

Gratz ochmude! So you are a general now?

P.S. On a side note, I reckon' there is no more "Advanced" class, so next step for me would be Extra. And since there is no more code-requirement, it is just a written? And what is the current call-sign assignment scheme for extras? I figure they've run out of 1x2 and 2x1 schemes by now.

That's the easy part.
Start stringing up some HF antennas!
[grin]

zebco1.jpg

It was today, you missed it.

Mt Tom Hamfest this saturday March 6th

http://www.mtara.org/node/13

The MTARA holds its Hamfest/Flea Market each year in early March. For 2010, the Hamfest is scheduled for Saturday March 6th.

The event is host to many regional ham radio companies and local vendors as well as the hams who have some personal property to sell.

In all, this event is a great place to find every-day items and that special rig or add-on that you have been wishing for.

Also, amateur radio licensing exams are given at this event, courtesy of the KD1XP VE Team. Tests are given for all amateur license levels. Please contact Rich, KD1XP to reserve your place at the session so that the team can plan for the number of attendees.

The event is held at the Springfield Turnverein Club in Feeding Hills MA, a part of Agawam MA. See the directions link for how to get there. Watch this space for details about our upcoming event.

But Agawam is not anywhere close to N. Attleboro.

Yea, and I was teaching a class today...so yes...and that's a long way!

Save your money for Near-Fest 4/30 - 5/1

I tipped off the Beef Jerky Guy from the gun show about Near-Fest.
He seemed interested and he was going to contact the event organizers for further information.

Mmmm........Jerky
Homer_Drool.jpg

I think there is a ham fest this weekend someplace close to you.

LOL, yeah, the MTARA Hamfest in Agawam. That's where I took my exam. Not the best selection of stuff, though. Actually, the only actual radios I saw were a FT-2000 and a bunch of beat up old HTs of various sorts. It was mostly small parts, antennas, and random stuff that was being sold.

Tech License in 1 Day Class

The Cape Ann Amateur Radio club is putting on another of its Tech-in-a-day classes in Gloucester on Oct 9th, 8:30 - 4:00. The cost is $20 (includes FCC test fee, study guide, coffee, sodas & snacks). Show up in the a.m. with a pocket full of enthusiasm, study hard and take the Technician license test that afternoon.

About 5 NESers did this last Feb. and we all got our licenses. Of the 25(ish) adults attending, only 1 didn't pass. About half the 5(ish) kids passed, including my 11 year old son.

Attachments

• Tech-in-a-day_Flyer-Oct_2010.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom