Tesla, making it easy to go off grid

The price seems OK because you and I helped pay for it. Between Tesla, Space-X and Solar City Elon Musk has taken $4.9B of our tax dollars. He always works in areas with lots of .gov money available. To wrap your brain around the amount, picture a stack of bills making 1million dollars. Now try to picture 4,900 of those stacks. All out of our pockets.

Power: 2kW continuous, 3.3kW peak.

So a 10kWh unit can output full load for... 5 hours.

That's not a high output.

The average US household uses 900+kWh per month. You'd need to have a bunch of these, not just one.

Also, what happens when your house burns down because your "battery wall" self immolated? Is Tesla going to rebuild it for you?

The price seems OK because you and I helped pay for it. Between Tesla, Space-X and Solar City Elon Musk has taken $4.9B of our tax dollars. He always works in areas with lots of .gov money available. To wrap your brain around the amount, picture a stack of bills making 1million dollars. Now try to picture 4,900 of those stacks. All out of our pockets.

Or 49 million Mosins.

Power: 2kW continuous, 3.3kW peak.

So a 10kWh unit can output full load for... 5 hours.

That's not a high output.

The average US household uses 900+kWh per month. You'd need to have a bunch of these, not just one.

Also, what happens when your house burns down because your "battery wall" self immolated? Is Tesla going to rebuild it for you?

I agree completely with your assessment but who really runs at peak if the grid goes down? No one. So realistically speaking you could easily double that 5 hour figure. The real breakthrough with this is the size, price and weight of the battery pack. I would definitely buy one of the 10kWh units for an off grid cabin. A few panels and an inverter would make a nice system. You should see my battery house for my place in Texas.... Ugly! The six 6 volt golf cart batteries weight 230 lbs each and I need a bunch of them just to give me basic electricity in the cabin.

Last edited:
Do the math 10 KWH for $3500.

A 120 amp hour marine battery is 1.44 KWH (@20hr discharge rate) you can get one for $80. 7 deep cycle marine batteries will store a bit over 10 KWH, and you can buy them for $560 total.

$560 vs $3500 what a great deal!

Any time I see news headlines with "Tesla" it makes me cringe.

they made it even easier to get off the grid with their new $130k electric suv which you can charge off your new battery pack.

Do the math 10 KWH for $3500.

A 120 amp hour marine battery is 1.44 KWH (@20hr discharge rate) you can get one for $80. 7 deep cycle marine batteries will store a bit over 10 KWH, and you can buy them for $560 total.

$560 vs $3500 what a great deal!

Any time I see news headlines with "Tesla" it makes me cringe.

Agreed. Whats the service life on the marine deep cycle? About 5 years?

It's a great step in furthering the technology, but not good enough for the common man.

Personally, I'd like to see the neighborhood nuclear reactors take off :D Build a community, drop one it, and survive anything!

Don't get me wrong, I think shrinking the footprint and the wall mount option is awesome. I just need more kWk/$ than that. Especially if they're only saying 10 years on lifespan.

Not to mention, it's unclear whether Tesla will even survive 10 more years.

Back
Top Bottom