Tell me what you think (229R)

Ok well i picked up a nice two tone Sig 229R a few days ago. Really nice gun LNIB. Long story short I I gave it a quick wipe down with some gun oil (mil-tec) before i put it away. I do this with all my guns to get rid of the oil from my fingers. Also since its not a daily carry it may be a while till i use it again. When i opened the case today to take some pics i had a few spots with a light blueish tint that just wouldnt come out. Needless to say i was pissed but was able to get it out with a little polishing. I could notice that spot on the slide tended to shine a little more than the rest. So i said the hell with it and polished the rest of the slide.

Here are some pics. Tell me what you think.

Sig1.jpg

Sig2.jpg

Sig3.jpg

Looks good! What did you use to polish the slide?

I just used the mothers polish i used on the billet wheels of my car and ALOT of elbow grease. I tape off the NS so i wouldn't hurt them and went to town. I did use a very light abrasive compound first in some of the hard to get places. I used it sparingly then polished it with a regular polish.

My first reaction was man that's shiny on the black frame but i think i like it. Its definately better than those couple of blue haze dots. Still don't know where they came from. I didn't notice them before. They reminded me of the blue haze u would get when u put a set of stainless headers on a car from the heat.

Nice looking pistol. I love my Sig 226. In general you shouldn't store pistols in their original plastic cases though because the plastic cases are usually air tight and will trap in moisture. I can't say that definitely caused your spotting but just a heads up.

I'm not sure about the stainless finishes and what to do or not to do with them. I do know that occasionally Sig's custom shop produces unusual finishes, so there a chance your Sig isn't the normal finish. When I was at the Sig Acad. one of the instructors had a nickel flat finish, which was really sharp looking in a non-flashy way.

Last edited:
Looks nice to me. Shiny but not too shiny, etc. I think it's pretty classy.

-Mike

I like it. Classy is a good word for it. And I bet it looks even better in person.

Thanks, Just wanted to get a little feedback good or bad. At first i wasn't so sure if i liked it. More of a what the hell did i just do feeling but i think i like it. Just a little different from what you normally see a a Sig. Shine wise, its shinier than stock but not as shiny as nickel.

Personally, I think it looks different in a very good way. Very classy, I'd keep up the shine! I'm gonna try it with my wheel gun!

Thanks everyone. We'll see how it holds up when i shoot it. I'm still looking for a Glock 19 to shoot the hell out of at the range too so i don't have to shoot this one alllll the time.

I've tried polishing so many things and it just never turns out right.

Whenever I see people send out for professional polishing it just turns out so much better than I could ever do it.

I start with sandpaper...depending on the surface maybe 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 then hit it with some sort of polishing compound with a buffing wheel.

How long did it take you to do the slide?

Back
Top Bottom