TC Headstamp, Winchester Brass and Recipes

While this is probably more accurately placed in the reloading section, I know the M1 experts frequent this section.

I noticed when skimming through the HXP can that I had a TC 53 headstamp, which appears to be for Twin Cities Arsenal (1953 manufacture).

Anyone else run into non-HXP headstamps? Are they all good to go? The only info I could find said 53 and later should not be corrosive and should be fine.

I did find some Winchester 30-06 brass in the recycling bin at the range today, so I went ahead and grabbed it for reloading. Anyone have any experience with it? I figured it should be fine.

Lastly, anyone care to share their M1 reloading recipes?

Send me a pm with your phone number I will send you a picture of the hornady load data page.

Oh and yes to getting "other" M2 ball ammo in the loose bags from CMP.
Buy what you can afford it's the least expensive M2 ammo you can find.

Last edited:
While this is probably more accurately placed in the reloading section, I know the M1 experts frequent this section.

I noticed when skimming through the HXP can that I had a TC 53 headstamp, which appears to be for Twin Cities Arsenal (1953 manufacture).

Anyone else run into non-HXP headstamps? Are they all good to go? The only info I could find said 53 and later should not be corrosive and should be fine.

I did find some Winchester 30-06 brass in the recycling bin at the range today, so I went ahead and grabbed it for reloading. Anyone have any experience with it? I figured it should be fine.

Lastly, anyone care to share their M1 reloading recipes?

Message sent with load data.... hope it came out clear.

I'm not an expert by any means but have been reloading frequently for the M1 over the last year or two. Here are my unscientific impressions of the brass makes I have used.

LC - IMO a little stiffer to work in the press, holds up OK but have had a couple brittle necks even at the first reload.
HXP - a little easier to work than the LC, not seeing any failures or issues with some up to 4X reloads.
Lapua - Easy to work, necks not growing, no problems with some at 5X reloads, very consistent by any measure
Winchester - seems the softest of all of these. I've had to trim some at 2X reloads, otherwise OK

Back
Top Bottom