Tax Stamp Question

They received my paperwork and cashed my check on Oct 23 2012 for a Tax stamp for a SBR, still no stamp I am coming around the corner almost there [wink]

It has to be something you do and just forget about or maybe thats just how I choose to do it, all good thing's come to those who wait.

Hey guys, along the same lines, would a wallet holster with a trigger hole and hole for spent ejecting brass be classified as AOW if it was legally possessed long before ATF considered them AOW be legal?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think any NFA items are 'grandfathered'.

Hey guys, along the same lines, would a wallet holster with a trigger hole and hole for spent ejecting brass be classified as AOW if it was legally possessed long before ATF considered them AOW be legal?

atf.gov faq

It'd be considered an operational holster, meaning it can be fired from it. Same with the mp5 briefcases, making it an AOW.

Just call it a dust cover and you're covered.

- - - Updated - - -

It'd be considered an operational holster, meaning it can be fired from it. Same with the mp5 briefcases, making it an AOW.

Just call it a dust cover and you're covered.

So how would the owner register it if such a thing existed? Would it cost $200 or $5, hypothetically if the item was bought in the early 80's and possessed since then?

NFA items need to be registered when created. There is no legal way to take an existing non-registered NFA firearm and register it within the law. About the only exceptions are

(1) Items that are registered but for which ATF lost the paperwork - if you have your copy they'll put them into their system, but this isn't really "unregistered" per se

(2) Very old historical firearms, generally which were created before the NFA existed and are of primarily collectors' value, may be declared to be non-NFA weapons by ATF decision. This primarily covers SBR/SBS from pre-34, and to my knowledge cannot be done for machine guns.

So how would the owner register it if such a thing existed? Would it cost $200 or $5, hypothetically if the item was bought in the early 80's and possessed since then?

The holster by itself is fine. It is when the holster is attached to a gun that it becomes an AOW. As the firearm is the registered item, you would need to register the gun as an AOW. It is the same concept as adding a k grip to an sp89.

Back
Top Bottom