Taper crimp on .45acp ball???

I have started loading .45acp 230gr.tmj(ball) on a single-stage press(temporarily)and I was wondering if any of you get small brass shavings when you apply a taper crimp.Am I just crimping too much and the dies is set a tad too low or is this normal?

My progressive press is now set up for .40 s&w so until I by another one this is what I'm using.Thanks!

Are you actually causing the shaving when you seat? It could be due to there not being enough belling of the case mouth and then you knock the shaving off when you run it up into the crimp.

Are you actually causing the shaving when you seat? It could be due to there not being enough belling of the case mouth and then you knock the shaving off when you run it up into the crimp.

This would be my guess. I can't figure out how a taper crimp, even if over done, could cause brass shavings by itself.

My progressive press is now set up for .40 s&w so until I by another one this is what I'm using.Thanks!

Why don't you just change calibers to load .45 in your progressive? What kind of press are you using?

I use taper crimps on pretty much ALL my pistol calibers (possibly not on .38 Spec./ .357, but I haven't loaded it in so long, I'm not sure). Certainly for all my autoloaders; the same ammo goes into my 625 revolver.

You should also STRONGLY consider a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD). It is basically a resizing die for a cartidge, rather than just the case. It will greatly reduce FTF's from bullet bulges, etc.

The brass shavings are being caused by the crimp itself but these are new dies.I bell the neck just enough to seat the bullet.I am using WIN.brass and WIN.copper jacketed 230.gr.I would like to get another progressive but I have to wait a bit to replenish my funds and I shoot more .40 than .45 so I don't want to switch my settup if I can help it.I use a Dillon 550 for the .40.I have heard of the Lee FCD and I think I am going to buy one today.

I think I fixed the problem now by readjusting the die.What are some of your measurements at the neck after crimping the cartridge?

I am using an RCBS rock chucker for the .45 right now.This is what I use to load my rifle cartridges(300Win.Mag,.308,.223).

i taper crimp my 45ACP to .471

Thank you,I will try this measurement.I also discovered that the lip on my shell holder is bent and holds the casing loosely so this may be contributing as well.I don't know how the hell that happened but I drove all the way to the gun store today and they were out of all #3 sh..go figure.[angry]

Thank you,I will try this measurement.I also discovered that the lip on my shell holder is bent and holds the casing loosely so this may be contributing as well.I don't know how the hell that happened but I drove all the way to the gun store today and they were out of all #3 sh..go figure.[angry]

Your welcome. Your really are not crimping just removing the bell, as long as your not over .473 down to like .469 your good, you should be able to feel the case edge when done. A good drop in cartridge gauge is handy too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom