SVD Tiger/WASR 10 Pic

I just got a image editor program for free (thank you Stumble) and thought I'd post this up. I've been meaning to post some pics of what I got for a bit but I have to use other peoples cameras and I didn't have an editing program. I picked this baby up at ZHA a little while ago. I brought it out to the range and I'm having a little trouble sighting it in. I'm not sure if I should maybe try another scope on it to see if it makes a difference. Not that I would get rid of this one considering everything is matching numbers.

dragunov.jpg

A little Russian gun love.

And because it just feels right to post with this one....my WASR with a drum mag i picked up for it.

WASR10.jpg

Last edited:
Have you shot the Tiger yet with open sights? If so how did it shoot then?

Its actually a hunting rifle, hence no high cheek rest. Lots of people swap out the stock for a military style one with adjustable cheek rest. The Saiga ones would fit and be correct because they're all Izmash manufacturer. I have one on my Saiga 308 and it works great.

The biggest thing, aside from making sure the scope hasn't been cranked too far, is using quality ammo.

If you can get good groups at 50 yards with it using quality ammo and the iron sights, its a good idea to use a lazer bore sighter and zero the scope the best you can at home, then hit the range and start at 50 yards.

Depending on your scope mount you can adjust the base for extra height of needed. I had to do that on my Romak because the rail was tilted down just enough to make it impossible to zero at 100 yards. I ended up repinning the base and using a few tiny steel shims during reassembly and that gave me the extra height I needed.

This link: http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/opticsap.html has some pretty good info on adjusting and sighting in scopes on Dragunov type rifles.

In some cases the scopes are just beat and a new one could make all the difference. Lots of new scopes out there for these rifles incluiding Tiger mounts for standard tube scopes.

Have you shot the Tiger yet with open sights? If so how did it shoot then?

Its actually a hunting rifle, hence no high cheek rest. Lots of people swap out the stock for a military style one with adjustable cheek rest. The Saiga ones would fit and be correct because they're all Izmash manufacturer. I have one on my Saiga 308 and it works great.

The biggest thing, aside from making sure the scope hasn't been cranked too far, is using quality ammo.

If you can get good groups at 50 yards with it using quality ammo and the iron sights, its a good idea to use a lazer bore sighter and zero the scope the best you can at home, then hit the range and start at 50 yards.

Depending on your scope mount you can adjust the base for extra height of needed. I had to do that on my Romak because the rail was tilted down just enough to make it impossible to zero at 100 yards. I ended up repinning the base and using a few tiny steel shims during reassembly and that gave me the extra height I needed.

This link: http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/opticsap.html has some pretty good info on adjusting and sighting in scopes on Dragunov type rifles.

In some cases the scopes are just beat and a new one could make all the difference. Lots of new scopes out there for these rifles incluiding Tiger mounts for standard tube scopes.

Replacing the stock with a military style one sounds like a pretty good idea. I do feel like the stock on it right now is a little short. I found this UK based site that specializes in Russian guns and gear and they have those on there.

As for the scope I seem to have it maxed out. If I remember correctly from the other week I needed a little more elevation but it won't adjust anymore. So maybe I can at some point buy one of the military scopes as well. If only buying parts for this thing wasn't so expensive.[crying]

Replacing the stock with a military style one sounds like a pretty good idea. I do feel like the stock on it right now is a little short. I found this UK based site that specializes in Russian guns and gear and they have those on there.

As for the scope I seem to have it maxed out. If I remember correctly from the other week I needed a little more elevation but it won't adjust anymore. So maybe I can at some point buy one of the military scopes as well. If only buying parts for this thing wasn't so expensive.[crying]

I hear ya, especially if you want to stick with Russian military stuff. Granted its usually the cheapest out of any military surplus, but supply is limited and even being cheaper than US surplus, its still pricey on a budget.

Try posting on this forum http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums
and asking for a link on info about adjusting the mounts for POSP scopes. I'm pretty sure a post in the sniper section or semi auto section can give you some info.
I can't remember where I learned about adjusting the mount for some extra height but will do some digging later on. If I find it, I'll post the link or info here in case anyone else is having a problem getting height out of a POSP reticle. I had the same problem and didn't shoot my Romak for months until I finally figured out how to adjust it.
Still a great rifle and a great addition to any collection. I'm jealous.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom