Surrendering C&R 03FFL License.

What's the procedure for surrendering your license?

I have reasons for not wanting my C&R right now. Simple reasons, but I'll keep them to myself for the sake of not posting too much info online.

I've read online a few difference sources on how to do this, but wanted to see if anyone had an official procedure?

I'll apply again in the future, but that probably won't be for 2-3 years.

Thanks

1. Write cancel in Blue Ink accross the face. Date it

2. Send your origionals, make sure you keep a copy of everything.

3. A letter to BATF stating you are canceling, records enclosed and that the acquistions are staying with you. remember to have in your log books the accquisitions trans out to YOURSELF. The C&R is not a SALES license, it is a collecting license that by passes the 01 license laws due to firearm age or historical collectability..

here is the address to comply with end of biz....

Out of Business Records
National Tracing Center
1-800-788-7133, ext. 1590

Please direct all questions concerning firearms out-of-business records to this number.

Records can be mailed to:

ATF/Out of Business Records Center
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

OR

Records can be delivered to your local ATF Office in order to comply with laws for surrendering records (which include all bound log books/acquisition & disposition books and computer printouts, ATF Form 4473's, Theft/Loss Reports, Multiple Sales Reports, and Brady forms).

I don't want to know any of the details for this situation, but I'm having trouble imagining why you wouldn't simply let it lapse, or what the downside of having a C&R is. (aside from a small cost, but you wouldn't get any money back anyway)

Thanks NRitland, that was very detailed.

I don't want to know any of the details for this situation, but I'm having trouble imagining why you wouldn't simply let it lapse, or what the downside of having a C&R is. (aside from a small cost, but you wouldn't get any money back anyway)

Has to do with temporarily moving and leaving my collection with my father who is an LTC-A holder.

My understanding is the address on the C&R is the address where the C&R firearms are kept? And not where i physically live? So if i move, but leave the C&R's at the address on the current license, do I need to do a change of address?

I'm moving into a condo temporarily for 1-2 years and can't take my safe. Just too damn heavy to drag up 4 flights. I'm just confused as to what to do regarding my address and where I store them.

I have a newborn, so the reality is I'm not going to be buying anything new for a while while I take care of priorities. I just don't want to get hung up on red tape considering I have more important things to deal with.

Last edited:
Records can be mailed to:

ATF/Out of Business Records Center
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

OR

Records can be delivered to your local ATF Office in order to comply with laws for surrendering records (which include all bound log books/acquisition & disposition books and computer printouts, ATF Form 4473's, Theft/Loss Reports, Multiple Sales Reports, and Brady forms).

Not sure where you got this information, as you didn't provide a citation, but it is incorrect.

As it's not a "business", 03FFLs are not required to submit any records when ceasing activity.

ATF 5300.4 said:
Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector’s license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?

No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearms “business” is discontinued. A license
as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed
collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collector’s licenses are not
renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4), 27 CFR 478.127]

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

You can get a new one by filling out a change of addy form with the ATF. I did it when I moved.

I just realized only one of my firearms were purchased after getting my C&R. So only one is logged in my book right now.

So i'll just do the change of address and keep the license.

Thanks

Last edited:
The license on file is supposed to be the address "where the licensed activity takes place". It doesn't have to be your residence, although it usually is.

Also, there's no need to log anything out unless you're disposing of it while still licensed.

I can't see why you'd have to keep your C&R Firearms where you live and sleep.

What if they were valuable, and you kept them in a Safety Deposit Box ?

For that matter, in MA, as long as they are locked I believe you can keep Firearms you own nearly anywhere that you alone have access: Work, Home, Vehicle, Storage Locker.

What you don't want to happen is allow anyone who does not have the appropriate License to get hold of them. You don't want your kids to be waving your Handguns or Long Guns around, even if they are Trigger-Locked.

I prefer Locked Cases to Trigger Locks. The mere sight of a Firearm can cause much grief to the lawful owner.

Last edited:
I can't see why you'd have to keep your C&R Firearms where you live and sleep.

What if they were valuable, and you kept them in a Safety Deposit Box ?

For that matter, in MA, as long as they are locked I believe you can keep Firearms you own nearly anywhere that you alone have access: Work, Home, Vehicle, Storage Locker.

What you don't want to happen is allow anyone who does not have the appropriate License to get hold of them. You don't want your kids to be waving your Handguns or Long Guns around, even if they are Trigger-Locked.

I prefer Locked Cases to Trigger Locks. The mere sight of a Firearm can cause much grief to the lawful owner.

Well that's part of why I'd like to leave them where they are. They are in a safe, secure and able to be accessed only by myself. No kids, LTC owner in the house, no need to break my back moving them.

I need to change the address on my LTC, but if I can leave my C&R license as is..that would be easiest.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Well that's part of why I'd like to leave them where they are. They are in a safe, secure and able to be accessed only by myself. No kids, LTC owner in the house, no need to break my back moving them.

I need to change the address on my LTC, but if I can leave my C&R license as is..that would be easiest.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I'd change BOTH addresses.

I've heard the ATF is good with phone calls. If you're uncomfortable, call them about your situation. I'm certain it's not the first time they've encountered it. American move more than anyone !

Back
Top Bottom