• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supply and Demand - The next chapter

Chapter 1 "The Good Old Days"

Visited a local GS that I have been going to for 5+ years. Every time I went there over the years, he had about 25 new and used hand guns in the glass case and 80 per cent of the long gun slots were filled with a mix of new and used guns.

Chapter 2 "The Big Demand"

Late last year, glass case bare and a couple of odd ball rifles in the rack, not a black gun to be seen.

Chapter 3 "The Big Supply"

Last weekend, over 100 new handguns in the glass cabinet you could not physically fit another gun in the cabinet, no used guns and every gun rack filled with a brand new gun, 20% of them an AR variant.

Chapter 4 "?"

Any guesses? Did the GS owner sink all his profits into inventory? Big sale comming? Are all the shops in a similar situation?

Naw, the orders that he put in last fall finally were shipped...

Chapter 1 "The Good Old Days"

Visited a local GS that I have been going to for 5+ years. Every time I went there over the years, he had about 25 new and used hand guns in the glass case and 80 per cent of the long gun slots were filled with a mix of new and used guns.

Chapter 2 "The Big Demand"

Late last year, glass case bare and a couple of odd ball rifles in the rack, not a black gun to be seen.

Chapter 3 "The Big Supply"

Last weekend, over 100 new handguns in the glass cabinet you could not physically fit another gun in the cabinet, no used guns and every gun rack filled with a brand new gun, 20% of them an AR variant.

Chapter 4 "?"

Any guesses? Did the GS owner sink all his profits into inventory? Big sale comming? Are all the shops in a similar situation?

Yes I think you have answered your own ? Supply and demand cuts both ways

Just got an e-mail. Four seasons in woburn is having an inventory reduction sale.

This is strange, I was there last week and the cases were not too full at all. The used gun inventory was especially thin.

Chris

Hardware sales are way down i'd guess. Why else is psa,midway,etc etc all running huge sales and blasted a ton of advertisements everyday.
Lowers last year=150-200+ if you could even find one.
Today you can find lowers 59-69 shipped.
Backorders are being filled and the panic buying is over and everyone has a crapload of inventory to get rid off. I can only hope it happens with ammo at some point. I'd imagine the fact that ammo "sales" are advertised its a sign that inventory has piled up on some level. As it piles up and backorders are delivered prices will drop.
I can hold out another year on ammo I have to see if things come back.

Guns and parts may be more available but as a reloader , I see things getting worse. The same powder that was readily available for 20.00 a year ago, is now 30$ IF the shops can even get it.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

I think the "buy whatever you can get at whatever price they're asking" chapter is far behind us. The last "panic" brought lots of new folks to shooting though, so I would expect the demand for hardware to match or beat whatever the pre-panic demand was.

I shoot a 6.5 Grendel and I have had to drive to New Hampshire to get ammo just for the brass. Finding just brass is like hunting a Bigfoot. Never mind finding .22 lr

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

I think the "buy whatever you can get at whatever price they're asking" chapter is far behind us. The last "panic" brought lots of new folks to shooting though, so I would expect the demand for hardware to match or beat whatever the pre-panic demand was.

That's true for hardware, but not for loading components. It's going to be a long time before that market is back to normal. The continuing shortages have changed many people's perception of what adequate stocks on hand are, not to mention all of the new reloaders trying to get started.

That's true for hardware, but not for loading components. It's going to be a long time before that market is back to normal. The continuing shortages have changed many people's perception of what adequate stocks on hand are, not to mention all of the new reloaders trying to get started.

Good point.

Back
Top Bottom