Super light AR 16" build

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8305.jpg

Nothing fancy, but the skeleton stock does look cool. EOTECH is fun too.

It's just plain old aluminum receivers, but the barrel is very light, and the aluminum handguard (YHM) and vertical grip are quite light as well. The whole thing including the holosight and batteries ( [smile] ) weighs about 7 pounds unloaded. I'm thinking of getting the shorter skeleton stock at some point also, which would shave a few ounces.

I was considering the JP Rifles free float tube, but ended up just getting the clip-on handguard because I don't have a torque wrench for properly removing and replacing a barrel.

Last edited:
I was considering the JP Rifles free float tube, but ended up just getting the clip-on handguard because I don't have a torque wrench for properly removing and replacing a barrel.

For future reference...

Auto-Zone has free loaner tools including a torque wrench (you just need to leave a deposit).

Last time I borrowed one they asked me what kind of vehicle it was for.

I almost told them it was really for, but changed my mind at the last second and told them it was for my Jeep.

They also have a gear/hub puller that comes in handy for removing AK-47 barrels.

This all came about because I was looking for a light carbine, and I got a Marlin 1894C. I really liked the weight and balance, and started looking at my two HBAR AR15's, and mentally kicking myself for getting such heavy hardware. And then I couldn't stop obsessing about getting an AR which was as light and well balanced as a Marlin carbine.

The other thing I like about the Marlin is that it is very narrow and smooth, without a lot of things sticking out to get caught on stuff. Unfortunately the AR15 still has a stuff poking out a fair amount.

Back
Top Bottom