Suggestions on Places with Decent Shotgun Inventory? (For Trap)

So I have been going to the trap range at my club for the past month, enjoying dipping my toe, and benefiting from the kindness of others in borrowing different guns to try shouldering and shooting some rounds of trap to get a feel for things. At the same time I have been avoiding actually looking at anything in stores because I know once I start, I will likely be taking something home the same day so in the interest of not jumping in without any experience I had been holding off.

So now I am ready to start (and conclude) my shopping for a shotgun to continue my foray into Trap and I need to figure out what places I should look to find my first shotgun. Since I want to buy quality, I know my money will go farther with a used gun and so I need to figure out what are the better places around MA/Southern NH/ME to buy one.

I have gotten recommendations of:

Al's in Derry NH
Kittery Trading Post
(Possibly?) the Gun Library at the new Cabelas

I figure there can only be a handful of places that would regularly have a variety of used shotguns so I just wanted to make sure I knew where these places might be.

Robin hollow. In RI.

http://www.robinhollow.com/

All shotguns, all the time.

/thread

RHO04.jpg

Joel Etchen guns is another great plus. Always some really nice used trap guns. There is a 686 online now has adjustable comb and recoil pad

http://joeletchenguns.com/berettau.htm nice Browning XT also.

kittery generally has some good used ones ? Got my UltraXT there

When viewing these prices after the (high end) ones from Robin Hollow all I could think was "These are so much more affordable! I could buy so many!" [rofl]

Mine came from KTP. The price was fair and the exchange took place in NH for obvious reasons.

Nice thing about them is that you can shop online and they will pull the gun out of inventory for X number of days waiting for you to go up and inspect.

Mine came from KTP. The price was fair and the exchange took place in NH for obvious reasons.

Nice thing about them is that you can shop online and they will pull the gun out of inventory for X number of days waiting for you to go up and inspect.

The GF make a joke about needing to go shopping for spring clothing and I told her I could make that happen but she would have to suffer through me shopping too.

You're going about it all wrong! Those times you were shouldering and shooting all those borrowed guns at the club, which one fit you the best and fell into your price range? Then go find that gun. Don't find a gun shop then find a gun. Find a gun then go find a gun shop that has it at a good price. Who cares how many guns a store has to look at. Thats fun when browsing and bored but you need to find YOUR gun. Not A gun.

You're going about it all wrong! Those times you were shouldering and shooting all those borrowed guns at the club, which one fit you the best and fell into your price range? Then go find that gun. Don't find a gun shop then find a gun. Find a gun then go find a gun shop that has it at a good price. Who cares how many guns a store has to look at. Thats fun when browsing and bored but you need to find YOUR gun. Not A gun.

That there is some wisdom.

Do what he said.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from with that. My assumption had been that to find a good price on a used gun and to have a decent chance of finding the exact or a close approximation fit wise of what I had felt the most confident with during borrowing other's guns I should go to a place that has a decent stock of guns and does a decent amount of business selling shotguns. Since I am new to the whole buying a shotgun market I don't really know where would be a good place short of asking people where they got theirs or where they looked.

So, what would you suggest would be the best way to go about it?

Kittery used guns department is great to deal with and will send you good pictures on any item you ask about. I got a good deal on a mint used Browning XT Ultra last fall.

All the guns are priced high, even for what they are.

A friend of a friend bought a shotgun there and said they came down to a reasonable number when he did a quick gunbroker search while in the store.
It wasn't anything exotic. Just a Beretta or Browning.

OP:

in your trying on of guns, what felt right to you? And, what worked for you?

If you cannot answer that question, then you aren't likely to "find" your gun.

I've shot enough to pick up a shottie, and know, more or less, if it's "Right" "usable" or "No way."

A $200 S&W at a gun show was "Right" - my kid's "backup" 1100 is "usable" - the comb is a bit high, but I can fake it. His current Trap gun is a no-go for me (Browning 725) that's he's "tweaked" to his measurements and liking.

So:

1) decide on a gun that works for you

2) Post what you want - then, people can give you a suggestion where THAT gun is likely to be found. If it's an 870, that's easy; a BT99, still doable. Parker SC with fancy wood - more fun.

3) take the suggestions you get in 2, and run with it.

Joel Etchen guns is another great plus. Always some really nice used trap guns. There is a 686 online now has adjustable comb and recoil pad

http://joeletchenguns.com/berettau.htm nice Browning XT also.

kittery generally has some good used ones ? Got my UltraXT there

I have had great service from Matt at Etchen's Their service and inventory is great. Steve

OP:

in your trying on of guns, what felt right to you? And, what worked for you?

If you cannot answer that question, then you aren't likely to "find" your gun.

I've shot enough to pick up a shottie, and know, more or less, if it's "Right" "usable" or "No way."

A $200 S&W at a gun show was "Right" - my kid's "backup" 1100 is "usable" - the comb is a bit high, but I can fake it. His current Trap gun is a no-go for me (Browning 725) that's he's "tweaked" to his measurements and liking.

So:

1) decide on a gun that works for you

2) Post what you want - then, people can give you a suggestion where THAT gun is likely to be found. If it's an 870, that's easy; a BT99, still doable. Parker SC with fancy wood - more fun.

3) take the suggestions you get in 2, and run with it.

I would say (in my short period of doing this) for me:

Felt Best: Browning XT (though unless I find a good deal on one not sure it is in my price range)
Did the Best With: Browning Cynergy (field model)

I had shot the cynergy before so that might contribute to knowing where it points.

Last edited:
I've never met you; I've helped a few people get started.

You're newish to clays.

I'd go with the Cynergy (I've never shot one, but you like it), as, being a "field" model it's more "middle of the road", and therefore, less specialized. Should you decide that Skeet, or Sporting Clays, or whatever is your True Faith, you'll be less handicapped.

I tell new shooters to shoot what they have, until one bird out of 100 makes a real difference, then to get a "real" gun for whatever sport.

And, a more-middle-of-the-road gun will have a greater stock of possible buyers, in case you trade up.

Honestly, I can't remember the last target I lost because it was the gun's fault. [laugh]

Best, of luck, get a gun, and come to the GOAL Cup Trap Shoot at Southborough on April 19 (Thread in the Shotgun Comp. sub-forum)

That applies to ALL!

I've never met you; I've helped a few people get started.

You're newish to clays.

I'd go with the Cynergy (I've never shot one, but you like it), as, being a "field" model it's more "middle of the road", and therefore, less specialized. Should you decide that Skeet, or Sporting Clays, or whatever is your True Faith, you'll be less handicapped.

I tell new shooters to shoot what they have, until one bird out of 100 makes a real difference, then to get a "real" gun for whatever sport.

And, a more-middle-of-the-road gun will have a greater stock of possible buyers, in case you trade up.

Honestly, I can't remember the last target I lost because it was the gun's fault. [laugh]

Best, of luck, get a gun, and come to the GOAL Cup Trap Shoot at Southborough on April 19 (Thread in the Shotgun Comp. sub-forum)

That applies to ALL!

OK, so any suggestions on where to find a good deal?

I would say to ask around at your club. Use their knowledge and experience. Also, the internet. Go on to shotgunworld.com. It is an unbelieveable forum for shotgun sports. Seriously. Go on there and just browse or post your question. I don't know where you are located but Kittery has a good selection of used guns but if you don't know shotguns this can be dangerous. Bass pro does not have the best selection of clay guns and the guys that work there often don't have a clue what they are talking about. I have not been to Cabells in Hudson yet so I can not say. Robin Hollow at Addieville is nice but if I have to decide between a new shotgun or a Cape house I'm taking the Cape house. ie. the shotguns are crazy expensive. Once you find what you want look at local gun shops and don't be afraid to ask them to order a gun for you. I am a skeet shooter and have a real good gun for it. For trap I shoot a Mossberg 500 Field A with chokes. Its a pump gun from Dicks and I dont ever shoot trap but when I do I use this and smoke in the low 20's. Not bad. The gun just fits me. I did not buy it for this purpose but it worked out well for me. As a new shooter you just need to dip your toes. Dont worry about being cool with a Kolar. There are a lot of guys with Kolars who cant hit Sh*t. Your new. Get what you can afford and what works for you. Then move up. All in all dont rush it. Get what works. Good luck.

Last edited:
You are better off getting a reasonable deal on the RIGHT gun than you are getting a great deal on the WRONG gun.

Shotgun fit is so so important. Thats why I won't buy a shotgun mail order unless I've fondled it somewhere else first.

Okay, so that would bring me back to my original question which would be, where am I likely to find a decent price on the RIGHT gun for me? Yeah, its better to spend 1200-1500 on something that is right and fits well than to spend 500 on something that doesn't fit and will fall apart in a few months, however it is better to know where you can find things for 1200-1500 than to go and pay MSRP for a quality new one at some big box store.

I would say (in my short period of doing this) for me:

Felt Best: Browning XT (though unless I find a good deal on one not sure it is in my price range)
Did the Best With: Browning Cynergy (field model)

I had shot the cynergy before so that might contribute to knowing where it points.

For used XT's or Cynergy's troll gun broker and Joel Etchen, be patient good ones at decent prices pop up regularly.

For very similar alternatives look at the older XT ultra, and Special Trap or Special Sporting Clays models.

If you want new, check out the Browning Crossover Target, a bargain for a new Browning if you ask me.

KTP would be a good place to start.

Good prices and plenty of inventory of mid priced guns.

I'm a big fan of over / unders. Except for duck hunting. Then I have a 24" SBE 2 . Its a great gun that handles very well. I was able to tweak the cast off to my liking.

Don

I bought my Pedersoli at Robin Hollow. Price on it was 1750 and I walked out with it for 1150. Guy took the time to fit me also. They have expensive guns and some guns worth the money if you showed honest interest. They have a lot of higher end (wealthy) shooters go there and price accordingly. The Matt Light shoot is held there ever year if that gives you an idea who might go and buy there. They had a rack of Berettas, Valmets, Weatherbys, SKB's, etc. Just stay away from the side with Holland and Hollands! LOL There is currently a nice Winchester 101 Pigeon grade in the classifieds. They are nice guns and that one looks like a decent deal. I know I would definitely look at it if I needed a new trap gun.

Back
Top Bottom